Hey All- New to forum - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Hey All- New to forum

I am Bill Johnson out of La Quinta, CA. and I have been riding for about 42 years now. Current sport bike is a 2006 GSXR 1000 and I love it. It is also set up for racing WERA, but she has her street clothes on at this time.
Here is a picture of her.

Love to ride when I can or I am not working, so if there is anyone in the lower southern California area that would like to ride, please let me know.

Take care and ride safe all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 04:30 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Nice bike! A friend of mine had those pads on the tank of his CBR1000RR. I'd never seen them before and I kind of laughed, till he let me ride it. They can be pretty helpful.

Anyways, welcome!

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Strength and Honor

There are two major brands for those "pads". The most well known are called Stomp Grips while the set I got for Christmas are called Tech Specs. I'll put up a review and thoughts once I've installed them and had a chance to ride around with them. They felt great when I sat parked with them at Mid-Ohio.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 AM

Blade,

Welcome! we're glad to have you.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the very warm welcome.

The pads on my tank are the Stomp Grips and yes they are great for helping you to hang on and also helping a little to protect the tank.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
There are two major brands for those "pads". The most well known are called Stomp Grips while the set I got for Christmas are called Tech Specs. I'll put up a review and thoughts once I've installed them and had a chance to ride around with them. They felt great when I sat parked with them at Mid-Ohio.
Thanks, I wasn't sure what they were actually called. Like I said, my first impression was a bit of a chuckle until I actually got to put them to use.

Unfortunately, most of the people that have sportbikes in my area are squids, so I try to avoid riding with them. So to find someone around here that actually knows how to corner is quite difficult, thus I had never run across them until recently.

The guy's g/f told me he bought them after riding with me one day. Said he needed to try to find an advantage after he realized there was somebody else who could actually ride in the twisties.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Thanks, I wasn't sure what they were actually called. Like I said, my first impression was a bit of a chuckle until I actually got to put them to use.

Unfortunately, most of the people that have sportbikes in my area are squids, so I try to avoid riding with them. So to find someone around here that actually knows how to corner is quite difficult, thus I had never run across them until recently.

The guy's g/f told me he bought them after riding with me one day. Said he needed to try to find an advantage after he realized there was somebody else who could actually ride in the twisties.
I hear you on that. I have a friend that I used to ride with and he has a 03 gixxer 1k. He is a very good rider/racer.

But our first ride was a bit of a challenge. I was in the lead and set a good pace for the faster of the group and then we had the bit slower group. Well I had about a mile lead with three of us when we stopped at our assigned stop. Well no one was coming, we waited for about 10 minutes. Just as I was getting ready to head back to look for them, a car pulls up and says one of our riders went down. Not knowing how far back, I headed back at a slower pace. I came up to a blind almost 130 degree blind turn and here comes my friend passing a car on the out side in my lane. We did not miss by much.

Well I got back to the rider who went down, surveyed the damage and determined I could get it down the hill so he could get it picked. Just as I was getting done, my friend who I almost got into a head on with showed up. So I took him a side and let him know that I thought he was a very good rider, but if he wants to ride that way, he would need to find someone else to ride with. He understood and we have been riding every chance we get. But now the rides are far and few between.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

+1, precisely one of the reasons that I am hesitant to go on group rides. Virtually everyone who owns a sportbike has made an illegal pass at some point. But to do so around a blind corner is just asking for serious trouble/injury/death.

Another is my fear that people may try to keep up with me through turns, despite not having the time under their belt. I always make it clear that they need to go at a comfortable pace, and I will wait at the next stopping point. Yet despite that, I watched in my mirror as a friend went LOC and hit a truck head on exiting a corner. His bike was certainly capable of making the corner, but that doesn't mean anything I guess.

Since then, I only ride with people that I am certain will not try to exeed their abilities; or I just ride in the back.

-Will Rogers
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Here is a link to a story I wrote about riding with in your limits, please feel free to share:

http://www.billsbikesnservice.com/limits.htm

If I was back there, I would definately tear up some twisties with you. But I would do it at a slower pace until I learned the roads.

Last edited by Blade56; 02-07-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode