The New Guy - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

The New Guy

How's it going guys? Decided I might as well post a hello thread, just so people could get some basic info on me down. I'm new to the sport bike world and to motorcycles in general, but recently I have taken great interest in them. I'm still on my researching phase though before I put my commitment in to owning a bike. Reading is one thing I love to do and I've been trying to get my hands on some quality books about riding. The local bookstores carry the bare minimum on that subject, they don't even have the The Complete Idiot's Guide To Motorcycles. Though I can just always order them. Yes, I will also be taking the NSSC Motorcycle Safety Course (Nova Scotia, Canada - Word up!). Did I mention I will end up being a gear nut? When I walked into the local shop around here I was like a chubby fat kid in a chocolate factory. Boots, Jackets, Helmets, OH MY! I almost walked out with a empty wallet.

Besides my interest in sport bikes, I'm into Mixed Martial Arts, Video Games, Films and heavy doses of music (Part hip-hop head, part hardcore kid). I'm pretty much a laid back dude and love to just chill. I also enjoy long walks on the beach and fancy french wine, oui oui.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:54 PM

Welcome!

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Cheers dude

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 PM

Must admit that the new board is dramatically changed. It will take me a while to get the feel of it & be hitting the right places.

True I am not keen on advertising, but what the heck we have it on the TV, in the newspaper & you name it. At least it is basically in the line of m/cing. Though admit I have not had time to go over what all the advertising is about. After all it is close to my bed time & only reason I am up this late is because I am retired & with a broken hip since Nov. 29 with nothing to do but be on the PC, Reading (which is not as easy now for my left eye is usless & with screwed up depth of preception when I have finished one line I do not know if I will come back to the start of the one lower to the left or way off line).

Reloading ammo, cleaning my h/guns & one friend picks me up each Sunday to go up to the indoor range for some target shooting & besides I do a lot of teaching when it comes to handeling h/guns to even reloading.
------------------------------------
Risky Biz do you have a Second-Hand book store in your are or next town/city to you? If so then wander around & see if they have a m/c section which could be hardly used m/c regular magazines to manuals on different makes & model of a few yrs ago to even MOM on some bike-------all can be of help to you once you get to reading them & into the lingo of the m/c world.

Still feel free to ask us some questions. For some of us have had some months to some yrs to many years in the m/c world, in my case it is 51 yrs of which 42 were in competition & practicing plus being part owner of several m/c shops to also going in to help correct a m/c shop up to where it would not go belly-up.

I to am a fellow Cdn but way across to the province of B.C. in the Okanagan Valley which is the interior, though bit south of B.C.

Last edited by Smitty; 02-01-2008 at 09:47 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:55 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes, and Smitty, I will definitely go check out some of the second hand book shops around here.

Anyone have suggestions on what some good Magazines are?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 PM

I think being a gear junkie is haf of the fun! And performance bike is the best hard core sportbike mag ever, IMHO.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 04:29 AM
Strength and Honor

I currently read Motorcyclist, rider, and Cycle World, with the last being my favorite by far. I also liked Bike, which is a Brit mag, but its pricey for us americanos.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 06:55 AM

Get yourself a subscription to Motorcyclist, Cycle World, or SportRider. It only costs about $10/year and you can really learn a lot from them.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 02:06 AM

Welcome to the madness.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode