New rider, buying my first bike saturday - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

New rider, buying my first bike saturday

Like the title says, i'm a new rider, and i'm buying my first bike on saturday. I found an R1 that I like after patiently scoping craigslist and cycletrader since early october every day (literally).

I live in Minnesota, so I obviously wont be riding home. It'll get driven home in the back of the truck, and tucked away in storage until the roads are clear enough to safely ride.

So, while it's sitting, I need to do some research on gear that i'll need to be wearing. A helmet obviously, and what else should I be looking at? I know i'll want gloves, but is stuff like a jacket/pants necessary?

Should I be going local to get a helmet to make sure I find one that fits, or is that something that can/should be ordered over the internet?

Thanks for the help, Much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:23 PM

r1 as a first bike? not a very good choice. If youre commited on buying this bike, a helmet (SNELL approved), armored gloves, full leather jacket, abrasion resistant (armored if possible) pants, and motorcycles boots (high cut that offers stiff ankle protection) is gonna be NECESSARY for you. A frame slider, both front and rear, should be on the top of your list to buy too. Also, a very good insurance, cause youre gonna need full coverage.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but having a 1000cc as a first bike is pretty dangerous... I know I know, I've heard the arguement from other new riders "I'm a mature person", "I dont want to buy a 250cc because I'll end up getting bore on it after a month", or "I'm gonna take it slow", and many more excuses. I've ridden a 250nighthawk and currently ride an f4, and when I jumped onto a my buddy's 2000 r1, it still surprised the heck outta me. Unlike lower displacement bikes, which needs to get to the powerband before you start feeling the pull on the bike, a liter bike as A LOT of torque right of the bat, which increases your risk of getting hurt or either crashing or dropping the bike.

I'm just saying.... you might want to rethink about buying the r1.
learing clutch and throttle control, isnt exactly easy or safe on a liter bike, but its all up to you though... good luck and stay safe

the way you're asking if you really need jackets/pants for riding, I'm making the assumption that you've never ridden a sportbike before. If youre seasoned and have years and years of experience, ignore my whole comment! but then again, if youre really experienced, you shouldnt be asking if pants & jackets are necessary.

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I asked the jacket/pants necessity question because almost everyone i see cruisin around here (summer time, of course) dont have anything but a jacket, IF that at all.

my old man's harley guy, and he'll occasionally bust out the leather jacket and chaps, so he's left the impression that its not totally necessary. all the rocket riders around here, it'd be rare to see them with a helmet on, let alone leather.

what are some reputable brands for helmets?

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 AM

iam going to put this as clear as i can for you.
only a fool rides without gear and i know there are a lot of them out there but if you want go to utube and look at some of the wrecks on there without gear and some with gear, that will make up you mind i hope.
now a r1 as a first bike is a big mistake unless you want to kill yourself, with no riding experance you will not be able to properly ride a liter bike which could have some very bad outcomes.
these bikes are nothing like your dads HD alot more power with alot less weight.
get a bike to learn on first then upgrade in a couple years when you have learned how to ride correctly.
the sv650 is a good bike to learn on and some of the older 600 but not the rr's or the supersports.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:16 AM
Strength and Honor

Re: New rider, buying my first bike saturday

Quote:
Originally posted by joegibs
So, while it's sitting, I need to do some research on gear that i'll need to be wearing. A helmet obviously, and what else should I be looking at? I know i'll want gloves, but is stuff like a jacket/pants necessary?

Should I be going local to get a helmet to make sure I find one that fits, or is that something that can/should be ordered over the internet?
To answer your questions directly, yes, get a helmet locally to ensure you get the one that best fits your head. Yes, in your case especially, jacket and pants are going to be must-haves.

And welcome to SBW

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:01 AM

R1 as a first bike eh?

Yes, buy gear. Lots of gear. You're gonna need it.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joegibs
Thanks for the reply. I asked the jacket/pants necessity question because almost everyone i see cruisin around here (summer time, of course) dont have anything but a jacket, IF that at all.

my old man's harley guy, and he'll occasionally bust out the leather jacket and chaps, so he's left the impression that its not totally necessary. all the rocket riders around here, it'd be rare to see them with a helmet on, let alone leather.

what are some reputable brands for helmets?
brands doesnt really matter in my opinion. Just go up to a dealership and try on their helmets. Fit is a crucial thing with helmets, cant be too tight and definetly not too loose. Just make sure the helmet youre gonna buy is DOT and SNELL approved. Different brands will have different fits on your head, so the more you try the better.

as far as jackets and pants, I treat them as part of the bike. I dont ride if I'm not wearing the right gear. I'm a nurse and i've seen first hand what a crash would do to a person, and have seen the comparison when a rider is wearing safety gear or not. Here in alabama temps during the summer are at around hi 90s but still I wear leathers or sometimes mesh jackets that are abrasion resistant. You never know when a car is gonna run you off the road or riding over a patch of gravel.

My philosophy with protection (motorcycle safety gear & condoms): I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

by the way..... are you really that commited to buying the bike already?

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sscottab
now a r1 as a first bike is a big mistake unless you want to kill yourself

Quote:
Originally posted by
zxrider

R1 as a first bike eh?

Yes, buy gear. Lots of gear. You're gonna need it.

jeeze dont give the guy a heart attack..everyone is so negative
I think you guys scared the man enough.

On a side note, that is a big bike man...be responsible and make good decisions..and you'll love the world on 2 wheels
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 PM

scare tactics work pretty good. Besides, what everyone was saying was true. I think his safety was our best intrest when everyone started giving those, somewhat, harsh advice.Liter bikes are nothing to be messed with by new riders! But its all up to him. We'll see.

what ever bike you buy... ride safe, wear full gear, and keep shiny side up

post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

I fully appreciate the concern about my safety. That is after all what i'm posting about asking about helmets and such.

I dont plan on doing anything stupid on my bike, it's more so going to be a go out and cruise on days off and for transportation for work. I drive a 5.2 liter v8 jeep daily, and gas gets kiiiiinda expensive, so I thought this would be perfect for driving out of town, weather permitting. When I want to drive like a jackass or just push my luck in general, I have my jeep. I feel comfortable driving 'stupid', if you will, because i'm on 4 wheels with a seat belt and a roof over my head.

Back to helmets. Should I go to the local Yama dealer or would finding a specialty store or a sporting store be the way to go? I live in a smaller town, so if need be i'll go up to a major sporting store out of town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode