New member - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Hey everybody!!!

New to this forum. I have a 94 Kat 600. It's my first bike. It's been a year and I'm getting a little bored. I'm interested in v-twin sport bikes, but I can't afford a ducati right now. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

Been to the track yet?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

not yet. I want a little more experience and to be confident and comfortable on the bike before I start testing the limits. I can't wait though. I do want to know what if feels like to go 180 down a straight away or to drag my knee in a corner. I think I need a different bike for that though.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:25 AM

Re: New member

Quote:
Originally posted by soulsocket7
I'm interested in v-twin sport bikes, but I can't afford a ducati right now. Any suggestions?
What's your budget?

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

I would like to try to stay under 8,000.00. I'm very happy with a good used bike. I have also seen new Sv's for less than that. Got any ideas? I've got my eyes on a few tl1000's and RC51's, but I also like what I see in the sv1000. I really like the look of the buell lightning, but I don't know about reliability since it's a Harley and I've heard that the dealer support is terrible.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM

An $8000 budget will buy all kinds of different V-twin sportbikes.

However, I'm with you on the SV-1000. I really like them and they are very affordable. Heck, a brand new one rings in at just about $8500. There's plenty of mint used ones out there in the $6000 range.

You are right about the Buell's- cool styling, but less reliability than the Japanese brands. And I have heard really bad things about dealer service. Apparantly, Buell's are the red-headed stepchild of the Harley world and are often treated as such by their service departments.

Other possiblities are are the aforementioned RC-51's and TL-1000S/TL-1000R. A really cheap alternative is Honda's Superhawk. (996cc) You can pick those up for $4000.

$8000 would even get you into a variety of Ducati's. I've seen 916's priced at $7000-$7500, but they are quite a bit older than a comparably priced SV-1000. (not to mention the expensive parts and maintenance costs that Ducati's bring) If you don't mind an old-school air cooled motor- a late model Ducati SS-1000-DS should be under that budget too.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really reluctant to look at the ducati's because even though they are beautiful and fast and exotic, they are expensive to work on. I will probably end up with the SV because it's so cheap and there are plenty of aftermarket parts to fix all the areas where it is weak. One day when time and money allow, I'd like to build my own bike from the ground up. I need to learn more about all the different elements of frames that affect handling though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 04:21 PM

You live in the Detroit area I see. Plenty of great Hatley Dealerships around with great support for thier Buells.

Take with a grain a salt these people of have "heard" things, everybody has a horror story to tell.

My advice would be locate a local dealership with the used Buell that intrests you and ask for a test ride, decide for yourself...

as for realiabilty, mine has 44,000 miles on it and still going strong.

My Suzuki V-strom also has almost 30,000 miles on it and still going strong.

maintain your bike, and good things happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode