1 month of R1 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

1 month of R1

Hey everybody I'm Taj.
Automotive forums are great things, good to be here. I'm a BIG car/motorcycle guy.

I'm 22 years old. I've owned a lot of bikes in the past, first riding dirt bikes at like 10 years old. All those bikes have been relatively small though, like 250cc 4-stroke or smaller.

I was a motorcycle parts manager dude for awhile, my father was importing Chinese bikes.

I have now had a 2000 R1 for one month. This bike just happened upon me and I couldn't turn it down, I'd never go out and TRY to buy one of these as first sportbike. Absolutely insane. Its sprockets have been changed for more top end, and it has an Akrapovic exhaust on it.

I've put about 1,900 miles on it so far. I haven't killed myself, incredible. I changed the oil/filter. I just wore down to the cords on the rear tire. Stock 190, I just bought a new 180 tire (Pilot Power).

I got jacket/helmet with the bike. I just bought some good boots, and some cold weather Fox gloves. November, still riding in Utah.

I had my incredibly bad motorcycle accident May 05 at the sand dunes on a friend's CR250. Can't tell you a lot for sure, I don't remember the first 3 weeks after. That accident has lasting effects, the rest of my life. I'll always ride.
Yep, great to be here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

New 180 rear tire feels great.
Warm gloves to wear with everything else I had is awesome.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I rode for 30 min in the pouring rain on the freeway at 70MPH. Thats quite the experience.

If anyone has an R1 that would like to trade sprockets, I'd love the stock sprockets back on here. Sprockets I've got, you can easily top 70mph in 1st gear.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TajMan
I rode for 30 min in the pouring rain on the freeway at 70MPH. Thats quite the experience.

If anyone has an R1 that would like to trade sprockets, I'd love the stock sprockets back on here. Sprockets I've got, you can easily top 70mph in 1st gear.
If you have more than a few thousand miles on either the chain or the sprockets, you are better off buying new. The chains and sprockets should ALWAYS be changed as a set.

Glad you are liking the R1, and having a good time of it. You may wish to consider a 190/55 rear tire if you can find one. Good profile and contact patch. May require a few suspension adjustments though. Also consider the R1 Forum (sorry for a plug on a different Forum). They are predominently R1, and there is always cool stuff for sale, once again, predominently for R1s.

Good luck!

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:50 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode