MSF Course - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

MSF Course

Hey all,
I've been a long time lurker, posted once or twice. My first bike purchase (Ninja 250 or 500) won't happen for likely another 2 years, but I want to take the MSF and get my feet wet. There's no time period in which you have to get your license after taking the course right? I figured you'd get a certificate or something for completing the course which you can take to the DMV? Do you guys recommend taking the MSF course fairly soon to buying a bike so what you learned is fresh in your mind or do you recommend doing it early to make sure riding is really for you?

Thanks guys, any other words of wisdom are welcome as well.

Oh, and standard thanks for the standard greetings I may receive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 07:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Hi there!

First, welcome aboard! I happen to LOVE NoVA area... Burke is pretty freaking sweet (minus an ex-boyfriend or 2).

Second, great call on the MSF. Even though I rode dirt as a kid, and my dad started me on the street, my confidence EXPLODED after taking the MSF!

Third, I don't know much about licensing in VA, but in PA if you pass the MSF course you actually GET your M-class or motorcycle license. Look into that, as it's a VERY good way to get some saddle time AND make yourself legal at the same time.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Nice to see another NoVA person, thanks for the reply

I guess I'll check around the MSF/DMV sites and see what I can find about obtaining a license.

Any comments about the time between taking the course and buying a bike?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 10:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
You know what they say about riding a bike.

But in all seriousness, it really does come back to you. It takes a moment to get your brain to shift gears (no pun intended) but it comes back quickly.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 01:41 AM

Recomended

I would highly recomend taking the course. I had been riding for several years before I took it and still I learned alot, In fact I still take the experienced rider course every couple of years and allways come out a better, safer rider.

Les
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:37 AM
Strength and Honor

You should receive a card certifying your completion. This card helps at the DMV (if you have to go) and might get you a discount with an insurer.

I would not take the course any sooner than about 3 months before getting into the purchasing market. You'll simply forget too much stuff. Alternately (and even better) take it now to be sure you're interested and then again just before you go shopping. Obviously that only works if its not insanely expensive in your state/locale.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 04:28 AM

My first night of MSF course starts tonight. well see how it goes
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by igotyofire
My first night of MSF course starts tonight. well see how it goes

Good Luck
I had a blast at mine.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyBandit12S
Good Luck
I had a blast at mine.
well i passed the class. There was even one guy who crashed into another guy while parking and the bike fell over on his leg and even he passed. It was pretty easy for the most part, the double uturn in the small little box was about the hardest exercise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode