New Prospective Rider - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

New Prospective Rider

Hey guys,
Just popped into to say hello I'm 19 and live in Georgia. I would like to get a bike soon, but the parents don't approve so I'm either going to have to convince them or wait; either way is fine. Just wanted to say hello and I found a funny bit on ebay. It may make you think what the hell: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...QQcmdZViewItem

Look about half way into the description for a red all caps word. I think most/all of us would disagree. Just having some fun and no this not my bike. Any ideas on how to convince the parents. I'm not willing to go behind their back because it would be impossible to hide from them.

If I do convince my parents I was thinking of a GS500F or Ninja 500 as a first bike I've heard mixed responses on whether or not they are good starter bikes. Of course I would take the MSF course and ride it for 1000-2000 miles and then upgrade if comfortable.

I was wondering what age you all started to ride motorcycles. Feel free to add anything else thanks guy looking forward to joining the community one day if not soon. Thanks.

Looking to jump into the world of two wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Hi!

If your parents don't approve, you may be best to wait until you are out on your own. I personally think the bikes you mentioned are EXCELLENT starter bikes. I credit some of my confidence on the street from putting in about 6k miles in on a 500cc bike before upgrading.

Welcome again!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM

A GS-500F or Ninja 500R would be great starter bikes. I am sure that everyone here will agree. Although, I think you can plan on putting more than 1000-2000 miles on it before upgrading. If you ride a lot, it's not hard to put 8000+ miles on in a year.

Now, as for getting this to fly with your folks, I've got no advice for you on that.

I started riding on the street when I was 14. (In Italy, where I learned, you can ride 50cc bikes at that age) I had the blessing of my parents though. In fact, they bought me my first bike as a Christmas gift.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 06:19 PM

sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders.....dont get a bike and piss off your parents though....wait a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode