Kinda new member from FL - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Kinda new member from FL

Hey all, I've been registered here for quite a while but never really posted or introduced myself.

I have an 03 ZX-6RR that I love and taken to the track a few times and had quite a bit of fun. Unfortunately, I highsided it about 5 1/2 weeks ago (6 on Monday!) in the mountains in Tennessee on a vacation (doh).
Broke my right hip socket and fractured my pelvis in a few small locations. Currently 3 weeks away from hopefully being able to start walking again.

Gear saved me in the crash, no rash, only this minor broken bone, haha. Need more hip armor next time Bike is mostly fine, maybe 500 in damages, leather pants and undersuit got trashed though since the paramedics had to cut open the right leg and then the X-Ray techs had to cut off all my zippers, doh. Oh well, can't wait to get back on the bike

Oh and a screenshot of my new hardware:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 05:00 PM

damn dude, glad your still with us. that is indeed some nice hardware! nice to see your still itching to get back in the saddle.

heres to a speedy recovery....oh and welcome!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 PM

holy! that's impressive man. how many staples are in your midsection?! lol. i should compare pics of my leg/ankle with my plates and screws.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

47 if I remember correctly, haha. They have been out now for about a month-ish, so the scar has healed pretty nicely. It's a bit over a foot long, from the start near the middle of my lower abdomen up to the right side of my body, haha. It's pretty long, and it hurt, along with a lot of other stuff, pretty bad, haha. Everything is good now, I just get sore mostly, haven't had any real pain since about two weeks after it happened.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

And that's not the kind of picture we normally see in Intro threads, so for thinking outside the box (or whatever).

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by theapp
47 if I remember correctly, haha. They have been out now for about a month-ish, so the scar has healed pretty nicely. It's a bit over a foot long, from the start near the middle of my lower abdomen up to the right side of my body, haha. It's pretty long, and it hurt, along with a lot of other stuff, pretty bad, haha. Everything is good now, I just get sore mostly, haven't had any real pain since about two weeks after it happened.
my goodness...well glad to hear you're feeling better.

when they pulled my 13 or so staples i was not looking forward to it...not terrible...just no fun. 47 would be stretching it haha. did they use the "oh this is cold and you won't really feel it" liquid? psh...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Haha, they said it'd feel like ant bites. Before I went I took two percocet though, so I felt pretty much nothing. Also, the last twenty or so on my right side I can't feel no matter what. One of the nerves apparently got stretched a bit too much so my right hip is basically 100% numb from about thigh to mid side, front and back-ish. I can only feel pressure, no hot or cold or pain. Feeling is supposed to come back within three years I think, haha.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 PM

Ant bites?! Haha that's great. I should have taken my norco hydrocodone before...oh well.

Strange you mention the nerve issue. I have a surface tingly feeling in my skin right around my elbow where I fell and took most of the impact (other than the bike wreaking havoc on my ankle haha). I bet I pinched a nerve. Guess the 3 year countdown starts now.

For that serious of an injury, $500 sounds fairly inexpensive to fix your bike. How bad is it? When I lowsided into dust/dirt/gravel at around 55, I cracked my lower, mid, and upper fairing. I also bent my rear brake footpeg back 90 degrees and cracked the housing around the right light.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

It was a pretty simple highside at about 35, bike didn't tumble, it just flicked me off, went down on the other side and slid. I just got really unlucky how I landed; I apparently have the worst crash positioning ever, or I have osteoporosis at age 21 being a male, haha. Landed just right to force the ball of my femur into my hip socket to snap part of it off, woops.

Sliders took most of the damage, lost the case cover on the right side, and the entire right clipon. Plastics got ground down on the tail in a little 1 inch by 1/2 inch rectangle, probably won't fix that. Also ground down under the case cover a bit. That was all of the plastic damage. I lost the windscreen since my foot went through it when I went over it. I cut a nice V out of it with my boot, haha. I replaced that with my OEM one. Total for now is just a new case cover (180-ish, Woodcraft), new set of clipons since a stock one is only 40 or so cheaper than aftermarket, sliders, and a clutch lever. I might also replace the left case cover to keep everything sorta the same.

The gear will probably cost more, lost my leather pants and undersuit, so that's another 400 or so. My new Shark RSR2 apparently took a small impact, but I don't remember hitting my head. I never passed out, although I was wishing I would, haha. So that will probably be replaced and I only got to do two rides with it before this happened So that's another 530 dollars.

I consider myself really lucky; this was a street accident, so it could of been a lot worse. I got lucky that there was not a car or even bike in the other lane. The damage to my body could of been a lot worse; I don't know how many doctors have said that this could of easily killed me if I had cut an artery. I was on the side of the road for an hour before the ambulance showed up, and then another 15-20 to get into the ambulance and then an hour ride to the hospital. That was not a fun time, haha.
Also, someone came on me pretty much within 2 or 3 minutes of it happening, so that was awesome. They stayed the entire time, and I can't thank them enough for just being there. I still get kinda teary eyed thinking about how nice some people can be to complete strangers.

It's been quite the experience :P
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:38 PM

Aaah I see. I bet your sliders helped quite a bit. Haha I'm just guessing you had a nasty crash positioning just right enough to shove that bone together.

I know what you mean when you say the doctor said you're lucky that is all that happened. When I tell people that my wreck only cost me a fibula, ligament torn from the bone, and a few small shattered bones resulting in metal plates and screws...they look at me like I'm nuts!

Honestly, when I first sat up and the dust from the wreck was still in the air, I was more worried about my bike. I kept asking people how my bike looked and what was damaged and didn't think about my watermelon-sized ankle at the bottle of my very leg haha.

I can't believe you punted a Vshaped hole in your windscreen! Geeze man. My shoei helmet didn't even have a scratch on it...I think I was staring at my bike the whole time I slid in the dirt haha. Probably was thinking something like..."shiiiiiiit!" My joe rocket flow-thru jacket is just a bit dirty. My riding gloves are fine just dirty. I was wearing steel-toe Caterpillar leather boots (i know bad idea) and they are just brushed up bad where the bike landed on my ankle. I was wearing jeans and they are fine. I'm going to go out and buy some riding boots and ez-on/off pants (for the ladies...psh) when I get back on the bike.

I bet that was a looooonnnnnng hour that you waited for the medics. That's awesome that someone stopped and helped you out. Some cagers aren't bad people afterall hah.

Are you doing the repairs yourself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode