Just joined up - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Just joined up

Hey everyone,

I just joined the forum tonight, and I felt like introducing myself.

My name is Joe. I have never ridden a motorcycle before. Ever. My father used to have a motorcycle when I was verrrry young, but he sold it because he thought that riding was too dangerous in our area.

I go to the University of Rhode Island where most upperclassmen live off campus, mostly in Narragansett (about 10 min away). A lot of kids ride motorcycles to commute. That's cool, and I want to do that when I get a house next year, but that's not my main interest.

I think sportbikes are awesome. They look/sound awesome, and it's the cheapest McLaren F1 speed you can possibly buy.

I've been staying up late for the past week or so and doing tons of research. Any opinions and input would be helpful. Here are some things I've found out:

1) The Busa is awesome.
2) Motorcycle safety courses are great.
3) 600cc is a good displacement for a beginner who wants to go fast.
4) Buy used bikes in the winter for the best deals.
5) Frame sliders can save your ass when it comes to $$.
6) Bikes can have turbines (Y2K - WOW)

Here are some bikes I've been keeping my eyes on:

Suzuki GSX-R600
Suzuki SV650 (I think I like the I4's more, though - High end revs and sound)
Kawasaki ZX-6r
Kawasaki ZZR600
Honda CBR600rr
Honda CBR6004i

Yamaha's are sweet too, but I've been looking through the classifieds all over the place, and they seem to be the most expensive out of Suzuki, Kawa, and Honda, which are pretty much the only manufacturers of sportbikes with I4 engines (Please correct me if there are more).

Sometime next month, I will be taking a motorcycle safety course in Rhode Island, and I plan on waiting to get my learner's permit until I come back to Connecticut for next summer's vacation.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm a Volkswagen fanatic, and I've been around the forums for a while, so I know that joining a forum is the absolute best way to learn about anything. Thanks again.

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:01 AM
Strength and Honor

Re: Just joined up

First, welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by jukesandz
I think sportbikes are awesome. They look/sound awesome, and it's the cheapest McLaren F1 speed you can possibly buy.
This was actually a good part of what drew me in, originally.

Quote:
I've been staying up late for the past week or so and doing tons of research. Any opinions and input would be helpful. Here are some things I've found out:

1) The Busa is awesome.
2) Motorcycle safety courses are great.
3) 600cc is a good displacement for a beginner who wants to go fast.
4) Buy used bikes in the winter for the best deals.
5) Frame sliders can save your ass when it comes to $$.
6) Bikes can have turbines (Y2K - WOW)

Here are some bikes I've been keeping my eyes on:

Suzuki GSX-R600
Suzuki SV650 (I think I like the I4's more, though - High end revs and sound)
Kawasaki ZX-6r
Kawasaki ZZR600
Honda CBR600rr
Honda CBR6004i
It does appear to be a shame that reading of the New Riders forum here on SBW and the associate stickies were not included in your research. That is the place you should start.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

No, I read 'em. That's actually a really good write-up there. I just had some more specific questions. About the VW thing, I know by now what I should be looking for on forums, and I (try at least to) use the search as much as I can. I know how bothersome it is to see a million threads about the same damn questions (like "Should I get a diverter valve or blow-off valve for my turboed car?" - Should never be asked in a VW forum haha).

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
No, I read 'em. That's actually a really good write-up there. I just had some more specific questions. About the VW thing, I know by now what I should be looking for on forums, and I (try at least to) use the search as much as I can. I know how bothersome it is to see a million threads about the same damn questions (like "Should I get a diverter valve or blow-off valve for my turboed car?" - Should never be asked in a VW forum haha).
Ok, well that's good. Then what exactly are you looking for suggestions on? Clearly it isn't choice of first bike and the other standard-issue wisdom can be dispensed with. Specifics

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Re: Just joined up

Quote:
...3) 600cc is a good displacement for a beginner who wants to go fast...
Er, no. 600cc is NOT a good displacement for a beginner who wants to go fast, unless he wants to die young.

Seriously, mate, "beginner" and "fast" should never be used in the same sentence when it comes to sportbikes.

Do some more research; this time on the Kawi 500cc twin. THIS is where you should be starting your riding career.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I see. You're the first person to tell me that 600cc's is too much.

The thing is, I don't want to end up wanting to sell my bike after a year or so because I feel it's gotten too slow on me.

Also, after taking a MSC, you don't think I'd be ready for 600cc by the Spring?

I don't want it to sound like I'm disagreeing with you because frankly, I just can't; I don't know enough yet. I just find it interesting you think 600cc is too much.

What other bikes like the Kawasaki 500cc twin should I take a look at? What are some of it's competitors?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 AM

Check out the Kawi and suzi 650 twins. Both great starters. If you buy used, you can sell for what you bought it for at the end of the season and buy the super sport you always wanted

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Is the Suzuki SV650 a pretty sweet bike? My buddy suggested it.

*Edit
I see a crapload of threads including the SV650 in the "New Riders" section, so I think I'm gonna start doing a lot of research on this bike. I would have rather owned a 4 cylinder rocket, but some people are saying a 600cc sportbike is too fast for a beginner, and from what I've heard, a V-twin of about the same displacement will still be damn fast and easier/more comfortable.

Last edited by jukesandz; 08-27-2007 at 02:42 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 02:58 PM

The SV is an awesome bike. The twin makes great power down low, instead of needing to rev the sh*t out of it like a 600. Many guys are using them as track bikes, so they'll definitely keep you interested for a loooong time.

PS - At the risk of sounding like I'm flaming you (which I'm not), only ignorant new riders think they'll outgrow a 500cc bike in no time. An experienced rider on a 500 will whip a newb on a 600 all day long.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

You're probably right. When I start out with my permit, I'll probably try out someone's V-twin, and it'll probably feel rediculously fast for me. Upon looking up the stats for the SV650, I discovered that it can aquire 60 mph in 3.7 seconds or so, which is faster than the fastest car I've ever been in (2004 Lamborghini Murcielago [3.8 seconds]), and even with a measily 70 bhp (and I use that word lightly), it's only a second or so slower than the GSX-R600 if I remember correctly.

I would've liked to get a high-revving motorcycle because the sound makes me die in enjoyment, but I think I'm jumping ahead too much, and I'm going to have to settle on a V-twin, which I've discovered aren't that slow in comparison. The low rumble is growing on me too.

One other thing, though. I love the look of these high-revving sportbikes too, but I've noticed that there is an SV650s version with the sporty looking fairing, and they are soooo freaking rare. However, I've seen you can buy "jet kit" fairings to aquire this look I like so much. How difficult is the install (Bolts right on as a replacement, I'm guessing)?

Thanks, guys, for all your help.

*Edit
I did some research, and I think I'm WAYYY off on the name of that fairing kit (I think a "jet kit" is some kind of engine tuning or something), but I hope you guys understand what I was trying to explain. Sorry for my newbness.

Last edited by jukesandz; 08-27-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode