New Guy - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

New Guy

I'm 25 and I live in Massachusetts. I haven't yet bought a bike, but will within a month. I'm really not sure what to get. I've ridden street bikes 1/2 a dozen times. I've ripped a 1/8 mile wheelie on a cbr 600 the first time i tried. I've ridden my buddy's 2004 RC51 very briefly, and I've ridden my other buddy's (98?) GSX-r 750. And currently to complete the length of my minimal experiences, I currently rip a CR -250 fairly well. Point of all this silly detail is that I understand motorcycle riding, I know I will be a fair rider very quickly, but I do want to pick the right bike.
What I think I want right now is either a GSX-r 750, 1000, CBR 929/954/XX (don't know the bikes well yet, but I like the style.
I also really like the RC-51, but am unsure because it weighs an extra 75-100 lbs.
My 125lb girl (I think 130...)will be with me much of the time. I weigh about 200.
I'm not planning on ripping wheelies around town, but I do want a bike people can respect. I'm looking to pay 5K-9K on a gently used vehicle.

I appreciate the help with this. My other forum has always been great, and I look forward to getting involved here.

Any and alll recommendations are appreciated for this new guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:18 PM

Hi Rhino, Welcome to the board. I've been here long enough so I will read you the riot act. If you haven't taken the MSF class you should. And I don't think there are many on the board that will recommend you getting a 750cc or 1000cc bike. The thought around here is that modern sportbikes are way too powerful for a new rider. If you want something with some power and room to grow most likely check out the Suzuki SV650. If you don't like that check out the Ninja 500.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 11:08 PM

It is not very hard to jump on any motorcycle and just have a nack for riding, its pretty simple. However, any good rider will respect someone on a 600 that can push it to the limits vs someone on a 1000 who can barely ride it, and just think, eh I have a bigger penis because I ride a 1000! There was a girl around here who had that mentality, (of course she didn't have a penis) but she crashed and died a week after getting her 2006 gsx-r1000. Get a 600, then move to the 1000 in a year or two if you *still* feel you need it.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

With those comments, you can totally make an arguement for me to get a Gixxer 750. But I did say my GIRL will be on the back, not my gay lover, therefore I think I'll skip the Ninja 500 and the SV 650. Guys, I'm not saying I'll dominate the sport, but I will be a GOOD rider, riding within my abilities. (Who the F mentions a Ninja 500 anyway???? I'm a little unsure of the board now because of that guy)

Bottomline, I'm 25 and have ridden all my life off road, and a few times on the road. I forgot to mention the Big Dog Pitbull I borrowed for a long weekend also. A GSX-R 750 pulls a high 11 1/4 mile right? I have a DSM turbo that breaks 13's, and it would probably push low - mid 12's with a little NOS. And I do beat gay Ninja 500's and even a couple 600's regularly.

Again, I'm not looking to race, or even push the limits of the bike I get. I want something that goes extremely well, and I can enjoy riding. Sure this will be a learning experience, but 70% of the learning will be done by the end of the first weekend.

I don;t mean to boast that I'm a GREAT rider at all, but I know I'm better than a Ninja 500. That being said,
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:08 AM

well rino with that additude iam sure you will get a bike way beyond your ability and i realy hope that you do learn to ride it before it kills or cripples you, what ever you get please do take the msf course, get gear, get your g/f gear so when you go down she will have a chance also. i doubt you will listen but stay away from the liter bikes , the 954 has enough power to flip you over with just the throttle. iam not trying to be mean but i have seen it to many times before.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Now that makes sense. I can totally understand a guy on a 954 telling me to gear up and take the course. I fully intend to do both. What about a 00'-03' 1000? Too much ya think? And where does the RC-51 fit in compared to other bikes? I hear the performance is more relative to a Gixxer 750, than a Gixxer 1000. Should I be thinking about one at all? After this, I'm kinda thinking a GSX-R 750 will do the job well for me.
I'm really not being cocky when refusing to think below a 750, but I am 6' with a girl on the back, I've ridden enough to know I can rip at least a 600 easily, and honestly know I'm a responsible and mature enough of a motor vehicle operator to not drive like a dink.

...so what do ya say about the rc-51?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 05:46 AM

Welcome to the board Rhino.
I understand where you are coming from I have rode the 51 and own a 929. I think you and your girl will prefer the ergo's of the 29 better. The 51 was to me a little ronchy on the legs in the long run. You mentioned you rode one if it was short little blasts around town or a few highway runs its ok, but if you are planning on any real miles on it the 51 like the gixxers are a hard on the rider and the passanger. I prefer the 29 and they are of reasonable price.

Just my
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:04 AM

You should just get a Hayabusa, R1, or Ninja ZX-14, hotshot. I mean, you don't want to outgrow a lowly 750.

What do you mean you can "rip" a 600 easily? Wow, you can open the throttle and hold on. Congrats. Take your new 750/1000 to the track, and watch guys on "gay" Ninja 500's absolutely whip your ass through the corners. Who's gay now? You wobbling through corners on a bike you clearly can't ride to it's capabilities, or the guy dragging his peg at twice your speed, on a bike with half the power? Believe me, newbies on 1000's provide plenty of comedy to others.

You're not going to learn to get anywhere near the bike's limits by starting out on something that high-performance. If you're so concerned about looking stupid on a 600 or smaller(and even a new 600 is too much bike for you), then you're getting into motorcycling for the wrong reasons.

And you shouldn't automatically start riding with your girl on the back. While you're learning to ride, you're going to screw up and make mistakes. You want her on the back as you hit some sand in a corner, or as you hit the brakes too hard at the wrong time?

But what's the difference? You're not going to listen to any advice anyway.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaps76
You should just get a Hayabusa, R1, or Ninja ZX-14, hotshot. I mean, you don't want to outgrow a lowly 750.

What do you mean you can "rip" a 600 easily? Wow, you can open the throttle and hold on. Congrats. Take your new 750/1000 to the track, and watch guys on "gay" Ninja 500's absolutely whip your ass through the corners. Who's gay now? You wobbling through corners on a bike you clearly can't ride to it's capabilities, or the guy dragging his peg at twice your speed, on a bike with half the power? Believe me, newbies on 1000's provide plenty of comedy to others.

You're not going to learn to get anywhere near the bike's limits by starting out on something that high-performance. If you're so concerned about looking stupid on a 600 or smaller(and even a new 600 is too much bike for you), then you're getting into motorcycling for the wrong reasons.

And you shouldn't automatically start riding with your girl on the back. While you're learning to ride, you're going to screw up and make mistakes. You want her on the back as you hit some sand in a corner, or as you hit the brakes too hard at the wrong time?

But what's the difference? You're not going to listen to any advice anyway.
+1 Go Slaps go! Tell Mr. Squidley what's what.

You're right though, he won't listen to you. I sincerely hope his gf isn't hurt too badly when he dumps his new liter bike with her on the back.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:15 AM

my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode