Rapid Vocabulary Improvement - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Rapid Vocabulary Improvement

The idea: To compile a USEFUL list of terms used by motorcyclists, both recreational and professional.

The point: I have just begun reading this particular forum. The writers of the thousands of posts and hundreds of threads no doubt know what they're talking about when they make a specific post/reply. A considerable amount of intelligence is needed however to make sense of a number of these posts quickly. Keep in mind, it doesn't take a genius to figure these terms out and I am not saying the authors of posts that use slang and various widely-used terms cannot write. Most of them can, 100%. What I am saying is that a compilation of terms that remains easily accessible to new riders/forum visitors would benefit their reading immensely. When a reader comprehends what he/she is reading, the maximum attainable value from the post is reached. This is just an idea and if it is fully rejected, I wouldn't find myself in tears. Thanks in advance to all who participate.

The method: Using copy-and-paste (to maintain a format somewhat similar to previous posts in this thread), a person replying to the previous post would copy the existing list and paste it into his/her reply, then simply add terms/slang of their own. This extra step would be necessary to maintain a full list of terms "per post", that way a new rider/forum member has only to read the very latest post to obtain the current list for themselves.

The format:

Fork - pistons connecting front wheel (on either side) to handle-bars, etc

This doesn't have to look like in any way like a dictionary, but it DOES need to be useful. Give it a try. And again, thanks in advance to those who participate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:34 AM

Hmm, do a search we had one of those dictionaries a while back. Even with motorcycles as a subject it was about as fun to read as well, a dictionary. Plus it had a bunch of british terms there, that only smitty uses.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I will do a search for something similar, however, I would expect the information inclosed to be as boring as reading a dictionary. Boring reading is also very ineffective as far as helping the reader obtain something useful.

That isn't what I asked the readers to create here. In fact, I would like to steer away from that as much as possible. Simply copy what exists, paste it to your reply, then add a word or two of your own.

Lastly, any expected excitement factor for this thread should come from the replies being unique and humorous. For example: I'd like someone to post exactly what a "fairing" is. I've narrowed it down with the little research I've done (busy schedule), but am still not sure of its definition. This could be included in the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode