Hello All.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Hello All....

Hello all, my name is Robert, I live in Columbia, MO. I first rode in late 1984, got my first bike in 1985, been riding ever since. I have been in 3 wrecks that required a visit to a hospital, one was a 2 week stay, broke left leg in 4 places. I have had many close calls where being alert saved me from wrecking & I have been run off the road twice.

I have owned 7 motorcycles(one twice) in the following order;
1971 Yamaha DT250 Enduro
1978 Honda CB400 Hawk
1977 Honda CB750F Super Sport
1985 Honda VT700C Shadow
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport
1990 Suzuki GSX1100FL Katana
1993 Kawasaki VN1500 Vulcan

Currently I own the 1990 Katana again, rescued it from a slow death at the hands of my brother, he let it set for 2 years without starting it, what sacrilege!
After my L-5 disc ruptured causing nerve damage I could no longer ride the Vulcan due to the sitting position, for a couple of months I was bikeless until a friend suggested I try sport bikes(guess I was extremely grumpy) which made me think of the Katana, made my brother an offer he could not refuse.

Replaced the stock mirrors(got tired of looking at my elbows, replaced all 4 turn signals, removed pin-striping from body(left tank as is), put a K&N air filter in, just rebuilt the brakes & am waiting on the Galfer brake & clutch lines to arrive. Other than that the Kat is stock.

I know that it is not a sport bike but it allows me to ride again, plus I am more comfortable on the Katana than I am on sport bikes.

I will do my best to answer all questions asked of me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1990 suzuki gsx1100f katana_31.jpg (40.7 KB, 105 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Strength and Honor

Re: Hello All....

Quote:
Originally posted by GSX1100FL
I know that it is not a sport bike but it allows me to ride again, plus I am more comfortable on the Katana than I am on sport bikes.
We're not real picky here Welcome and hope you find SBW warm and cozy.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:26 AM

Welcome to SBW!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:20 AM

Clean bike for a '90!

Welcome to SBW.

-M-
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mstrand_68
Clean bike for a '90!
Agree...that is outstanding for a 16 year old bike. How many miles are on it?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:28 PM

I used to ride with a guy who had a bke like that. I rode an 89' FZR 1000 and we'd switch every once in awhile and that thing was like ridind a couch compared to my FZR. You could go all day on that bike and not get the sore but syndrom. Plus it ran really well. The best Katana by far!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

The bike currently has 15,194.6 miles.

I know that is not a lot of miles for a bike, less than 5,000 on it when I sold it to my brother, when I got it back it had less than 11,000 miles.

I have spent the last 4+ years fixing it up, it was dying a slow death at the hands of my brother.

It has spent almost all of its life in a sheltered parking area, when I first got it I kept it in the basement I lived in, my brother kept it in a garage for the 7 years he owned it, I bought it back from him two months before I moved to where I am now, a place with a garage.

The picture I took does the bike a lot of justice considering I have not cleaned it since July of 2005, don't get me wrong, it does look good but it does have scratches on it, most from when it was in a trailer & my brothers friend's ZX11 Ninja attacked it, talk about riding a sofa(found the seat on that bike to be too wide).

I traded a 9mm pistol, a stand-up 125psi air compressor & $700.00 cash to get it back from my brother, since then I have put close to, if not more than, $4000.00 into it, yeah I was (note the was) taking it to stealerships, now I do the work myself.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 02:20 PM

Wow, you are one addicted biker. I guess I'm the same. NO more crashing, okay?

Take care of that back. I have those problems, too.
AND
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:47 PM

Welcome to SBW That bike looks great! It looks like its new, and looks better that my 97' Glad you found your way to us here. Hope your back likes the bike as much as you do.

Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode