It's too bad you can't ride a sportbike in sand... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Smile It's too bad you can't ride a sportbike in sand...

Howdy, name's Tony. Currently deployed to Camp Taji, Iraq on the northern side of Baghdad. I just returned from my midtour leave (where you get to go home for two weeks).

While I was home I didn't actually plan on buying a bike, it just sorta happened. Fell into a decent deal. One of my previous co-workers had a son who had never riden in his life, decides to go out and buy a 600cc sportbike, takes it out in the back yard (I still haven't figured that part out yet) and ends up overreving in a turn as he was falling and throwing himself off the bike into a trailer. The bike landed on grass causing 0 damage to the fairings. The only visible damage was the turn-signal assembly which easily popped right back in. The son was't as lucky. He ended up with a gash in his left leg which went pretty much down to the bone. Sure enough, mom makes him sell the bike. I end up with a bike that retails at around 7,299 with the 4-year kawasaki (that's close to $1,000 itself) warranty, a 250$ KBC helmet, and a decent Joe Rocket jacket for 7,500. Not sure how much he paid for the Yoshi RS-3, never bothered to ask. The odometer still read 0 when i took it home. Before I left i put a set of sliders because yes, i'm still pretty fresh on the sportbike scene. I didn't have any problems during the two weeks I was riding but I don't really feel like taking any chances. Sliders are a lot cheaper than replacing fairings.

I've been riding dirtbikes for about two years now (Just MX, never really crossed over to freestyle). The biggest bike i've ever owned up until now was a '02 KX-250 (2-stroke). I tooled around on a friends CBR 600 last year for about a month or so before i deployed. I was surprised at how easy this ZZR is compared to the CBR. It seems like it's much easier to control and the seat is a lot lower to the ground. I'm not short by any means (6' 1") but it just seemed a lot easier to me. When I get back from my deployment (hopefully here in about 3 or 4 months) I plan on taking the advanced course just to feel a little more comfortable with it. I know 600 is a lot of bike to start with but I know my limits and i think that's the main thing.

Hopefully this forum will give me something to do for the next couple of months when i'm here at Taji. Maybe even learn something. Any input you guys have or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm still a sportn00b so i'll take help anywhere I can get it. Take it easy guys n gals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mynewtoy.jpg (132.6 KB, 62 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:50 PM

Sounds like you got a good deal, to bad about the kid though but from the sounds of it he might be better off not having a bike at his age. Take it easy an learn your limits, thats all there is to it. Hope you get back soon so you can continue your learning.

Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode