newbie over here. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

newbie over here.

hey everyone. i joined the site a few months ago, but i never really came on it. my name is cory, i live in coral springs, florida.

im 18, i only have a car at the moment... i am trying to get a bike, i need to wait til my dad and i move to our new house so i can have a garage to park it in.. but no one is supporting me on buying a bike. i got the guilt trip from my dad that if i get hurt or get killed, it will kill him too.

he said, im 18, i can do what i want with my money and im an adult now and can make my own decisions.

i've been told by many that I act way older than my actual age, i have a clean driving record. i've never been in trouble with the law. i am financially stable and i have great credit. so my maturity levels are fine.

the kind of bike i'm looking for is a gsxr 600 or 750, maybe a zx6r or maybe a cbr600 .. ireally don't need or want anytihng bigger than 750.

thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 AM

Welcome to SBW!!

Have you considered something like an SV650S for your first bike? Not saying anything about maturity levels, just that race replicas are not of a mild temperment and are abit of a bitch to learn on.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Welcome to SBW!!

Have you considered something like an SV650S for your first bike? Not saying anything about maturity levels, just that race replicas are not of a mild temperment and are abit of a bitch to learn on.

i have considered them, i have sat on all of the bikes i listed and the sv650.. the sv650 just isn't that comfortable to me.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:35 AM

Was that the S or the naked version? The S should have clip ons and a riding position very simular to that of the gixxer.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Was that the S or the naked version? The S should have clip ons and a riding position very simular to that of the gixxer.
then im assuming naked. but i want a bike that i like, i dont like the style of the sv650 either.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:14 AM

this is the bike I am talking about, with an optional fairing.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:44 PM

Re: newbie over here.

Quote:
Originally posted by coryx1987
...i really don't need or want anytihng bigger than 750.

thanks guys.
Actually, you really don't need anything bigger than a 500.

As you're a newb, I suggest that you aim a little lower and live a little longer. Learn how to ride before learning how to ride a race rep. You'll not only find it more fun, but more safe.

Oh, and welcome to SBW!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:33 PM

Re: newbie over here.

Quote:
Originally posted by coryx1987
i've been told by many that I act way older than my actual age, i have a clean driving record. i've never been in trouble with the law. i am financially stable and i have great credit. so my maturity levels are fine.

I am always in trouble with the law and act way under my age so my maturity level is on the low side. Does this mean that I can't ride? Should I give you my RR cause your more mature?

Basically maturity doesn't mean shit. I've seen some guys that are brain dead and act like they are 12. But they are bad ass on a bike. Maturity might keep you from doing a wheelie between two cages on the freeway, but not going to help you know what to do in the everyday situations, when to twist the throttle, when to e-brake, when to swerve, and when to not do all those things.

Believe me I know a ninja 250-500 looks like shit, so go after an early 90's 600. Beat the piss out of it and in 2 years trade her in on a late 90's or early 00's 600.

If you go for the new RR we will be reading about you in the headlines.

-M-
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:10 PM

Coryx I know how you feel. I'm 19 and just started riding not to long ago. I wanted something that looked racy and had power. I wanted to find an R6 ideally but everyone that I talked to said not to start with to much power and look for a 500 or an sv650. I kept looking around and found a '97 YZF 750R that I really like and had a good price so I bought it. It has alot of power to it, though its all at the high end so it wasn't to bad to learn on. Basically what I'm getting at is dont get something that is a modern race replica. If you are really set on getting GSXR or a CBR look at the older ones. Look at the ones from the mid to late 90's before they became fuel injected. Not because they would be cheaper but because they will be MUCH easier to learn on than a modern one but it will still have more that enough power for you. Thats just my

Sepias
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:13 AM
Strength and Honor

Perhaps that's a better alternative for you. How about an older Honda F series bike? Like the F3 or F4?

I must, of course, throw in that I usually recommend non-race replica bikes for noobs and every one you listed is a race replica. VERY EASY TO GET HURT.

BTW, welcome to SBW!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode