Roar - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Roar

Hey guys, I'm a new member, and I didn't want to post another thread with the subject "New Member," so I figure Tiger, Roar… Anyway…

I just caught the bike bug from a friend and I'm planning to take an MSF course in April. Since I'm 20, MN lets me get my endorsement from the course. So that's settled.

Which leaves me needing to get a bike! I've never operated one before and only ridden a motorcycle once. As an old hardcore BMX/mountain biker, I at least have the whole balance thing down (though I know it's an understatement to say a lot will be different on a sport bike), and as I'm cautious when learning new things, I feel comfortable planning to start out with a ~600cc bike. I'm partial to Kawasaki, but not really for any particular reason.

Ideally, I'd want a blue (maybe black) 2002 or later Ninja with <5000 miles on it for <$5000. Something that's been broken in right, driven well, and not dropped. I don't really care about looks so really the color isn't a factor. If anyone has suggestions on where to find a bike I'd appreciate it. Right now I'm looking through some prospects on Carsoup.

I've been working out plans for my '86 Fiero which include a 350-400whp supercharged 3800 build/swap, beefed-up 5-speed, Koni fully adjustable suspension all around, Vette brakes, lightweight 17" rims, chop top, and some electronics, and looking at the price tag, I know it's going to be at least next year before I can afford the buildup. Unfortunately, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't want to wait to go fast, and I gotta tell you, the speed to $ ratio in sport bikes is really appealing (lol)!! Plus I love to travel and would like to be able to do so without using too much gas.

So there's my intro. I'm looking forward to joining the madness/addiction!

P.S. Are there any women around here? Oh shit, I can see that question alone getting me in trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:57 AM
Strength and Honor

First, welcome.

Second, standard response (minus MSF since you've already mentioned it):
Get gear

I see no mention of that and you'll be quite sorry without it. Helmet, jacket, gloves minimum. I advocate pants and boots as well.

And your price range and bike requirements might be possible but you should NOT be looking at a ZX6R or RR for a few reasons: upfront cost (runs ~$6k), power/appropriateness. I won't argue or discuss this latter part at length; read through the New Riders sticky threads (at the top) and more replied-to threads to understand why.

Last, you might find it wise to wait until after the MSF course to look for a bike. There is always a chance you'll find riding doesn't suit you. And then you'd be out money. Price-wise, there aren't many Kawis out there right now and from about Jan/Feb on the prices will only rise until about October when the season comes to a close and the new models start appearing and you'll see prices start to plummet.

Places to shop Kawis: ebay, cycletrader, and kawiriders

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

Last edited by kanwisch; 01-04-2006 at 03:59 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 08:27 AM

Yes there are women here... and yes they will kick your ass.

Next = you ARE going to crash. Buy a dirt cheap used 500cc and beat the shit out of it for a year or more. Then you should be ready to move up to a dirt cheap used 600cc, again beat the shit out of it, crash it, learn from it. Then and only then buy a bike worth waxing.

I started on an Interceptor 500. Then a '98 yzf600r. Then I thought I was ready and bought an '05 cbr1000rr, crashed the next day - $11,000. Though the crash was not my fault, I wish I would of bought 2 used bikes instead.

Oh and beware of cages, gravel, and new slick tires. That combo just doesn't work out. Oh yes I know all about that one. I have the plate 4 screws and 4 wires holding my wrist together to prove it. Nice scars though

-M-

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips/info. I'll look for a beat-upable bike. As I've learned many times, the best way to find your limits is to damn near kill yourself exceeding them.

How about a '94 Ninja 500R? There's a high-mileage one close to me for $1600.

Well, I would wait on getting a bike, but my friend got one and he's gonna be riding this summer, so I have to keep up! Regardless of how much I like riding it, I'm gonna ride one anyway to save on gas. So that's the only thing I think I won't take your advice on (thanks, though). I also want to get a bike while they're cheap, and as indicated, prices will only go up from here.

And I'll get some gear as soon as I get a bike.

Kanwisch, looks like we share some interests. I just looked at your pix. Nice-looking TA (from what I can see ) and I'm on a computer I built too. Now that I've labelled myself a cage-driving geek…

Last edited by timmaythetiger; 01-04-2006 at 01:48 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by timmaythetiger
...As I've learned many times, the best way to find your limits is to damn near kill yourself exceeding them...
That's the "problem" with bikes. All the odds are stacked against you and many riders, new and old, don't just get near to killing themselves, they actually succeed.

I've got to say, the above comment and this one...

Quote:
...I'm the kind of guy that doesn't want to wait to go fast...
...tell me you're probably going to get a lot closer the killing yourself than you think.

Just take it easy, be smart and grow old.

Oh, and welcome to SBW!!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
[i]
How about a '94 Ninja 500R? There's a high-mileage one close to me for $1600. [/B]
$1000 max... and whats "high" milage?

-M-
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks cookeetree, I will exercise extreme caution.

Mstrand, where the hell am I gonna find a bike for $1000 or less? Maybe I need to start looking alongside the highways? This is like a 20k mileage bike…I know that's very high (and it's not exactly a VFR), but I'm not seeing anything cheaper. If you can point in the direction of something cheaper, I'd definitely be interested.

How do you post pix in your profile? I know, I'm an idiot.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
...How do you post pix in your profile? I know, I'm an idiot.
I believe you have to have made 10 posts before you can put a pic in your avatar.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:05 PM

Hey if thats the best deal in your area go for it. Im just saying I wouldn't give over a grand for it. I will sell you my interceptor for $500. Beat that. It has almost 40,000 miles.

Bike motors run a long time. Just like cars. Yeah I can blow a car motor in 5,000 miles, but treat them right with proper maintnance and they will run a long time. Hard to find bikes with a lot of miles because they are usually wrecked before they get lots of miles on them. Just had a goldwing in the shop with 180,000 on the odo.

Anyways...

-M-
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Holy crap, 180k is a bigger number than I would ever have expected to see on a bike odometer.

Lol, if only you were closer, I would give you the $500 and take your bike for sure. I'll keep an eye open around here. Wish me luck and if you guys happen to see anything you think might be a good idea for me, I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode