Is this bad for a bike... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Is this bad for a bike...

I just purchased a bike. Its a 1997 Yamaha YZF 750 R. I am a new rider so I'm taking it slow. Is it bad to keep the RPMs low on a high peaking engine? Im learning the bike, weight, and riding so im keeping the RPMs low, usually between 2k-4k before i switch gears. (I'm not getting much over 20MPH on it till Im comfortable with my abilitys and the bike) Is this bad for the bikes engine/transmition? It's not going to be a long term thing just while i get use to it all.

Thanks for the help,
Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 05:55 PM

It's bad if you feel it lugging and surging, otherwise, you're fine. Just use a smooth and gentle throttle hand.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

It only lugs and surges when i get shaky and give it a bit much on the throttle. Its got alot of power behind it. But as long as its not gunna hurt the engine, thats what im worried about. Im doing alot of clutching to keep it from surging and such.

Thanks for the reply,

Sepias

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

One more quick thing. I was puttin my bike up in the garage and i guess i missed the kickstand or it wasn't all the way down. Anyways it fell ontop of me. Gas started coming outta the tank at the filler cap. Should this happen or no? If not, what should I do to fix the problem? Thats the only time it leeks, Ive left paper under it to check for any drips of anykind.

Thanks,
Sepias
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:12 AM

not sure about your specific bike, but it should have a vented gas cap to assist in the gravity feed for the petcock; so it would have a place to leak out. HA Ha, when I first started riding 7 years ago I did the same thing with my first bike. Over it went, but I managed to keep my leg under the new yosh pipe to save it

As for the engine speed, I'd at least take it up to 6k. 2-4k is extreemely low, even for a new bike break in period. Odds are, those old carbs aren't pumpin' like they use to, so it could probably use to be whacked open here and there. --Highway riding is a great chance to get a feel for your power band. Cruise around in the lower RPM's and play with the throttle a little, give it a quick burst and feel how your bike reacts. Drop a gear and feel how you bike handles in the higher RPM's. Have fun
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 06:07 AM

I don't know what negative effect shifting that soon could have, but you should definitely practice shifting at a higher RPM. 2-3K is VERY low on a motorcycle. You don't have to hammer the throttle just because you're keeping it up in a higher RPM range....try shifting between 5-6K. You're just learning throttle control. Can be tricky for new riders, or even someone with experience stepping up to a more powerful bike than they're used to.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Im trying to keep it between 5-6k as of now. It just means I'm stuck in first and second gear since the comunity I live in has a 30mph speed limit. Any tips on how to handle grass? I was unsure goin into a turn today so I rode it into the grass. I knew I was gunna lose the bike in the grass but thought it better than cement. I wasn't goin to fast but it did a number on my left ferring. Pushed in 1/2 in into towards the frame. Doesn't quite line up right now but thats why I bought an older bike. Anyways back to the question, tips on goin into grass?

Thanks,
Sepias
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
...Any tips on how to handle grass?...
Sounds obvious, but use the bars to turn. Take it slow and don't lean.

I actually learned to ride in a paddock... on a road bike!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Didn't think about it until you said that but I did lean trying to get back to the pavement.

Thanks,
Sepias
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:48 PM

Too easy.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode