New member... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

New member...

Hey guys, monday I bought a 2005 Ninja 250R in silver red/black, and it is lots of fun. Please don't flame me about not owning an R1, or Hayabussa, magnificent machines, but I cannot afford the 91 octane required, the monthly payment, or the dreaded full-coverage insurance for such a rolling masterpiece.

I would like an R1, or a ZRX 1200, or a Bandit 1200S...but this is the cheapest, sportiest, and best-looking new bike I could afford. Don't like my bike, buy me a new one then.

At any rate...

I do love my little 250 Ninja, it revvs to 13 grand and sounds amazing. It is the smoothest twin I have ever ridden, very well counterbalanced. I even bought an additional two years of warranty, and got the third year for free.

I think it is dissappointing that only Japan, Europe, Australia get the high-technology sub-600cc sportbikes. It would be nice if we could get a 250cc inline-four that revvs to 16 grand, weighs under 350 lbs, has four carbs, dohc, a six-speed gearbox, and four valves per cylinder. Oh yeah, this bike does exist: the Honda 250 Hornet!

Lightweight bikes are less intimidating and with performance more easily accessible than 600 and liter class track weapons.

I mean, come on..."Oh no!!! My 0-60 time is only 5.5 seconds on my less-than $4,000 Ninja!!!...I feel like such a loser." Give me a break! A Hayabussa is a great bike, and I would love one. I would truly love a GSX1300R, but who the hell can truly wring one out on the street, where most spend 90% of their riding.

I love performance, but I also know my limits, financial and skill-wise as a rider, and as a human being.

So, without further adue, I introduce myself to the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 11:09 PM

Congrats on the bike, however I don't have to put 91 octane in my busa nor is it recommended. But there is nothing wrong with owning a 250. They are lots of fun and you will learn more in one year on that than you would an R1.

Enjoy the ride and don't be so defensive. Remember your gear and safety course.

John B.
I could stop if I wanted to.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Si-lo
Congrats on the bike, however I don't have to put 91 octane in my busa nor is it recommended. But there is nothing wrong with owning a 250. They are lots of fun and you will learn more in one year on that than you would an R1.

Just don't like getting flamed for a bike I busted my knuckles to afford. Mommy and daddy did not buy this for me, this is my bike.

So, the GSX1300R takes 89??? Isn't compression at least 11.0:1 on that thing? I know the Ninja is 12-something:1 but takes 87, but I use 89.

Oh yeah, I am a veteran rider. I have ridden for over five years now. My first bike was an '86 250 Rebel, and I have ridden (not owned) a VMax, GS750 Suzuki ('77), and a 500R Ninja. I know speed, I just cannot afford it right now.

Last edited by 2005Ninja250R; 08-11-2005 at 11:21 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 04:49 AM

Welcome to SBW. Worry not, no one gets flamed here becouse of their bike choice. Correction, there was one guy that bought a zx10 for his first bike. He got it pretty bad.
As long as you're on two wheels its all good.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 05:07 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Si-lo
But there is nothing wrong with owning a 250. They are lots of fun and you will learn more in one year on that than you would an R1.

+1. Here you'll find the senior members recommending the very bike you chose as one good option for new riders. So, while it may have been by accident, congratulations on making a wise choice.

It would be helpful to us if you kept us up to date with any changes you decide to make, like upgrading. I, for instance, am interested in knowing when you opt for something bigger. Lots of theory on when that happens, but no facts and very few anecdotes.

I can relate to the cost thing. My current ride cost $1k total and insurance is dirt cheap. My gear alone cost more than the bike Get thee into an MSF course if you have not taken one already!!!!

Whatever the case, welcome!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Welcome to SBW. Worry not, no one gets flamed here becouse of their bike choice. Correction, there was one guy that bought a zx10 for his first bike. He got it pretty bad.
As long as you're on two wheels its all good.
Yes, a very stupid choice for a first bike indeed. I do plan on getting to an MSF course, just to lower my insurance of $700-800/year...I am still shopping around. Any good companies? I am using Progressive now, and I would love to save more if I could.

Also, I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon...no mods, no new bikes, nothing. this is my bike for my last two years of college. After that, i will be moving back to Japan to teach English, get a hot Japanese wife, and a new 250, 400, or 600-class road weapon.

I would love to get a new R1, as it is the loveliest new bike in production, and, in my opinion, the best-looking bike ever made...and I have seen them all. It's just too much. 180hp on the street? That is overkill. Not even Nicky Hayden could fully utilize such performance on the street. Hell, it takes a pro to flog it to the limit on the track, so what would make me think the street would be more friendly?

But the R1 is still badass (Not that the CBR1000, ZX-10R, GSX-R1000, etc. are not all awesome...). They just need to produce one in yellow/matte black and raise the redline to at least 14,000. Then, it would be EVEN MORE perfect.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 08:27 AM

I agree with ya, the R1 is the best look bike. Well with the exception of exotics. Performance-wise, I think its now the weakest of the liter bikes (cbr1000 is weaker but makes up for it in friendliness). But its still a whole lot of bike.
As for 180hp being too much. Well yeah it is. But is there such a thing as too much power? isnt that like too much money? or too hot a wife?
As for redlines, I disagree. That is the great thing about liters as opposed to 600's. No hunting thru the transmittion to find the power. Just twist the grip and off you go shooting like a bat out of hell. Drop 3 gears and space-time starts to bend and flex

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 10:32 AM

Sorry guys but as you can tell from the name the 2005 ZX6R's are all the bike this little lady could want....for now. Unfortunately I have to find a way to get the best possible deal on trading in my little ninja 500 for the zx6r! I fallen head over heels for these things. Don't get me wrong R1's, CBR's, and Gixxer's are all beautiful bikes and I get waaaaaayyy to excited anytime I see anything with fairing, a motor and two wheels it's just that only the ninja will do it for me. From the front that thing looks fierce!!! And it's not just the looks I'm into thje performance as well. Anyways, whatever bike you choose just make sure it suits you BEST.

SEE YA!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 10:40 AM

Yep.. Lets face it, kawi's simply rule...

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Yep.. Lets face it, kawi's simply rule...
Correction: All DOHC inline fours from Japan rule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode