Sportbike World banner

i buy a bike, now what do i need ?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Zedek 
#1 ·
I know I need to get a license plate, but what other stuff do i need ? do i need a city sticker like i have on my car ?

#3 ·
That is a pretty general question. If all you have is a mc then you are nowhere near ready.

You need gear
training- msf course
Be responsible
watch for other people on the road(cages are your enemy)
A tame right hand
and last but not least, money if you are going to do track days and/or mods.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now.

#4 ·
Speed54 said:
do i need a city sticker like i have on my car ?
Yes, in the Chicago area all motor vehicles must get at least the City sticker and I believe that bikes are also required to pass the emissions testing. If you're buying new, ask the dealer. If you're buying used, call the BMV.

#5 ·
The City Tag, etc.

What else you need: Helmet, gloves, boots that cover your ankles, heavy-duty jacket, preferably a jacket made specifically for motorcycling, and long pants. Don't go riding in shorts. You need all of the items listed here to ride a motorcycle.

MSF training I found to be very useful. I feel a lot more confident and safe on the bike since I took the MSF course--the basic course. Good motorcycle skills have to be practiced with repitition, so they become second nature. That is the kind of training you get from MSF.

Maybe you have seen the little round tags on the back of motorcycles in Chicago. Those are like the city sticker: if you don't have one, you could get a ticket. This is what I heard, but I still haven't bought one.

Something I didn't know until about 3 years ago: you need a special motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license. You can no longer legally ride a motorcycle without that motorcycle endorsement.

#7 ·
Re: The City Tag, etc.

Maybe you have seen the little round tags on the back of motorcycles in Chicago. Those are like the city sticker: if you don't have one, you could get a ticket. This is what I heard, but I still haven't bought one.

The DMV would have them, rite ?

Something I didn't know until about 3 years ago: you need a special motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license. You can no longer legally ride a motorcycle without that motorcycle endorsement. [/B][/QUOTE]

are you talkin about the M-license ?

#8 ·
M License, etc.

If you are authorized to ride a motorcycle in Illinois, you will have one single license, just a regular driver's license, with some additional information on it: a letter "M" will appear under "Class" on the front. On the back, it will say, "Any size motorcycle."

I don't know where you get the round tags. Just do a google search for Illinois Driver Services (that's what they are calling themselves, instead of DMV).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.