New Member - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Talking New Member

Hello everyone, I have just recently applied to this grand forum. I see it as a revolution for myself since I have just become interested as a motorcyclist. What brought me here was a question and I hope it will answered...I have no doubts with all the information I have read thus far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 09:21 PM

Welcome Tekus. What was the question?

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Talking My question...

That's right! I had a question, well thanks for replying and at the same time reminding me of it. Well I have been looking at some specs for two different types of motorcyles. Now I have always been drawn to the Kawasaki design but the Suzuki affordability has always gotten my attention as well. Right now I'm considering for a future buy the Kawasaki Ninja 12X-R or the Suzuki Katana 750. Both are great bikes but each has their own benefits. My question is what counts more, the CC volume or the compression ratio? The Ninja offers a CC value of 1,988cc while the Ninja only offers about 750cc, however, the Ninja has a compression ratio of 12:2:1 while the Katana has one of 10:7:1. Now I read somewhere (actually, howstuffworks.com) about the different types of engines and their terminology. It said that compression ratio counts toward the power of the motorcycle, however, the CC count is how much space the cylinders have, thus the bigger the space the more power as well.
Sorry about that gigantic influx of information but I am real specs' enthusiast and when it comes to things like these I want something nice.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 03:18 PM

Re: My question...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekus
...I am real specs' enthusiast...
See if you can find some spec's on how many of the beginner riders, who run out and buy bikes that are beyond their capabilities, end up dead.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 03:37 PM

Or rashed up or paralyzed or in posession of a 10,000 dollar paperweight.

Don't sweat displacement vs. compression. When it comes to modern sportbikes, displacement and curb weight are the specs you want to think about.

As has been said already, if you're new to riding, you're going down a dangerous path wondering about max power. Concern yourself more with frame geometry than rwhp.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
...Concern yourself more with frame geometry than rwhp.
And learning to ride...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode