new guy from jersey - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
j0n

Smile new guy from jersey

heya...im a long time f-body guy and member of multiple f-body forums(same name as here) but lately i've been thinking of switching my interests to sportbikes...i really want to pick up a truck as a daily and instead of my convertible, get me a lil croch-rocket to kill myself in

but anywho i am currently drivin around a 1995 Trans am convertible with a 6-speed

only mods are a cai and shifter...1/4 mi times in sig

so anyway hiya! its good to be here and i expect to be converted quickly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 09:06 AM

Thumbs up Hi

Welcome.

Are you one of those guys who always tries to race a sportbike?

You couldn't beat'em so your gonna join'em.

Just kiddin'... But there's more to get used to than you think if you're trying to compare a car to a bike.

Hope you have a fun and safe time converting
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 09:14 AM

Bah keeping two hobbies is good. I have a 300zx TT as a semi-daily driver. LOTS of mods though.

Converted? nah, just get a sportbike as an addon. The first time you ride it you will be hooked. You will leave your car parked for 3 months straight, then end up driving it on a rainy day. You will have the throttle burried all the way to the floor wondering where the power is. Oh, and you will probably be running it near redline most of the trip. Enjoy.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 10:34 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Welcome.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
j0n

lol thanks for the welcome...personally i dont see it making sense to own a convertible and a sport bike at the same time(specially at 18 yrs old ) plus...i hate to admit it...i'd like to have a little better gas mileage...so i figure a pos beater for the rain, and i guess for this summer ill find myself a 500 bike(seems like the most popular "starting" bike that i've found through my searches of the "new rider" section)..then next year maybe a gsx-r1000(yea right )
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
j0n

ok im sure that this has been asked before but i cant figure out what to search for so ill throw it here...

how do ya convince the parents to let ya get a bike? i've gone from my 500cc idea to a ninja 250, as that's what a friend of mine has and bought for 1000 bucks, so its not like i'm trying to get onto something outrageously powerful. they tell me that it isnt safe to ride a bike in jersey...any ideas on how to convince them otherwise?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 09:22 PM

A friend of mine used this line on his parents to get them to buy a new Z28 as opposed to the V6.

"But Dad, I can get a speeding ticket in a Geo Metro'

Maybe you could mix it up a bit in your favor if YOU driving irradically is the issue.

Tell them you will cover your helmet and bike with reflective tape??

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by j0n
ok im sure that this has been asked before but i cant figure out what to search for so ill throw it here...

how do ya convince the parents to let ya get a bike? i've gone from my 500cc idea to a ninja 250, as that's what a friend of mine has and bought for 1000 bucks, so its not like i'm trying to get onto something outrageously powerful. they tell me that it isnt safe to ride a bike in jersey...any ideas on how to convince them otherwise?
You could move out of Jersey.

Seriously though, it's a matter of education. Your parents probably don't know much about riding, but neither do you. It's a great chance for all of you to take an MSF course together. There are basic classroom courses they offer that will be a good chance for you and your parents to learn FACTUAL statistics and the true safety of motorcycle riding. And you never know, your parents may get into riding too...and want to contribute to your riding budget.

The other nice thing about suggesting to your parents that you all take a course together is that they'll see you being mature about it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
j0n

hm thats a great idea slainte...actually my mom used to own i think a honda 500 or something similar, but yea i think taking the course with them would be a great idea...ill try it out!

btw they're not concerned with me riding like a dipshit, they're concerned about me getting hit by some dipshit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode