Question on a Suzuki sv650s vs CBR f4i - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Question on a Suzuki sv650s vs CBR f4i

I am looking at getting a new bike. What are the main differences between a 01'- 03 Suzuki sv650s and a 01'-02' Honda cbr f4i? Is the riding geometry the same betwwen the two bikes? Power comparable? Which (if either one) would be better on a 150 mile ride one way. Any info would be great. Thank you.

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 09:29 AM

I like the looks of the F4i a LOT better.

I am actually purchasing a new 2004 F4i in 2 days.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:30 AM

Thumbs up I am biased!

I love Suzuki. I love a V-Twin. The CBR is, well, it's a CBR. Did they ever make a bad one? A v-twin and inline 4 respond alot differently from the engine stand point. I love torque. I have to be biased to the SV! Good luck with your decision, be safe and go ride!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

So which bike is smother acc. This is my first bike and I would like to know which is a better ride.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 11:05 AM

V-twin torque....

The v-twin is going to be a little bit more sensitive at low end rpm's....I'm not real sure of the horsepower difference between the two. The biggest difference that I have noticed in riding twins/triples versuses inline fours is that you have more usable horsepower quicker (at a lower rpm) in the twin/triples. The best comparison that I can make is, when my buddy who rode an '01 GSXR750 and I switched bikes. He noticed how much power he had right away with his throttle twist and I noticed how much power I had at a higher rpm. I don't know if that makes sense or not but our bikes were pretty even on rear wheel horsepower. Anyone else explain it any better...please do!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

How do the riding positions compare? Is one better on longer rides than the other?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:21 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
http://motorcyclistonline.com/performancedata/

That'll give you an idea of the differences in power and torque. If you're looking at longer rides I'd say go with the F4i if for no other reason than gas mileage. Plus I would assume the I4 would vibrate less than the twin, making for a more comfortable ride.

I think the SV will have a more upright seating position, but you can always go to the dealers and sit on each bike to see for yourself. Try them both and see which fits you better. As far as which is better, it's a personal choice thing. I prefer the leaned over "sporty" position to the upright "cruiser" one, it's just more comfortable for me. When leaned over I can distribute my weight between my butt, my arms, and my legs. In the cruiser position it's pretty much all right on your butt.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by malibulsv
So which bike is smother acc. This is my first bike and I would like to know which is a better ride.

Isn't the F4i way to much bike for a First Bike?
I think i understand that the sv650 is toned down, but man, i didn't know the overall concesus was the F4i was a Starter Bike?

is this true...if it is...then hell i'l get one instead of that 05 GS500 I was looking at the other day...

is the F4i a STARTER BIKE?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

-iammalkavian-

In response to you, this is not the first bike that I have ridden just the first one that I have bought. I have spent time on a 92 Kawa 500 and took the MSF class. I think it is the majority opinion of the board that the f4i is not the best starter bike, I think it could be done but definatly not a good starter bike. This is basically a "which bike is better suited for what I am looking for" type of question.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by iammalkavian
is the F4i a STARTER BIKE?
For me it is. (Brand new at that.)

I recently bought a brand new Honda F4i (First bike) and I haven't had a problem yet.

You just have to be smart, practice in parking lots, etc before going into traffic, TAKE THE MSF COURSE, and be VERY gentle with the throttle.

I have ridden dirtbikes before so I'm not a complete noob. (I know how to use front/rear brakes, shift, etc...)

The new thing to me is all the extra power and leaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode