Sportbike World banner

New member here too!

945 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  texasjohn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have read through a lot of the threads before registering, just trying to get a feel for things.

Right then. Hoping you guys can give me your $0.02 worth here.

I am getting a motorcycle. I need to do my US bike test (no problem with that) but I am doing it via a MSF training school to brush up. I've been driving in the US for two years so I'm used to 'this side of the road' etc etc

Here's the deal. Been riding since 16, passed full test in the UK when I was 18, probably have 20000 miles under my belt in total, mostly on smaller bikes, but some bigger bikes too. Over the past 5 or 6 years I have only ridden occasionally (weekends for fun, the odd day to work) as it's not been my main form of transport. The last time I rode was in 2002 when I owned a 1993 Kawasaki KR1S (60hp 250cc 2 stroke sportsbike, does about 130mph). This wasn't the biggest bike I ever owned, but the most recent. It's probably about as quick as an SV650S but a bit less easy to ride than the Suzy. I've had all sorts of bikes, KZ550, KZ750, RD(RZ) 350 YPVS, FZR250 (yes, a 250 inline 4 - not fast lol). The quickest bike I've owned is an RG500 (90hp 2 stroke).

As for big four stroke bikes, I rode a CBR600F2 (1996 model) a couple of times in the past and found it a bit boring really but dead easy to ride... I rode a ZX10 (old one, before the ZZR11) which I found too heavy.

Now my dilemma is - I have found an R1 for sale. I was looking for R6's really but this R1 is perfect, an '01, has 2000 miles on it and the guy is asking a low price for a quick sale. Convert that price into UK pounds and it's a no-brainer (I will take the bike back to the UK with me whatever I get) It's a genuine bike but thats not the issue. The issue is me! - I have heard the R1 is a bit of a monster and shakes its head a bit coming out of turns. Has anyone ridden one?

I trust myself on it, and based upon my experience to-date on a lot of bikes I could probably handle it if I had been riding recently but it concerns me that I haven't ridden for 3 years other than a bit of off-road - it might just be pushing it to get straight onto an R1?

Also, does anyone have any good links to tracks/novice track training in the Fort Worth area? What about forums for local rider groups? I only know a couple of people here who ride (other expat brits)

See less See more
#3 ·
First, welcome to SBW and America (though one could argue whether Texas is really "America" ;))!

As for the R1, you've got quite a history going, so its my VERY limited opinion (going on fourth riding season) that it'd be a fine choice for you. All the pre-steps you've done and will be doing should have you ship-shape.

As for track days in Texas, the forum for track events frequently has listings of sponsors who do track days throughout the Country, so I'd start there. No advice on the riding groups other than choose your partners carefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.