Newbie here - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Newbie here

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Tim, and I'm just getting into sportbikes. I'm buying a '05 R6 in a week or two. Any suggestions are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Welcome!

Is this your first bike?

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
Welcome!

Is this your first bike?
First sportbike, yes. I've gotten a little flack about getting the r6 as my first SB, so I know it's a serious machine. I'm also considering the Kawasaki z1000.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:05 PM

Welcome to the site!

If you haven't ridden any motorcycles before, give some thought to which bike should be your first.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
Welcome to the site!

If you haven't ridden any motorcycles before, give some thought to which bike should be your first.
Up until this point, I've only ridden cruisers. But for a mature adult rider, is the r6 really too much to start on, or is that just for irresponsible riders who will push it too hard, too fast? I have several friends who started on an r6, and they had no problems.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:36 PM

IMO, with a consistent mature approach, the 600 is much less a safety risk than the literbike. IMO, no matter how mature one is, with the present day's literbikes being as powerful and responsive as they are, a literbike for one's first sportbike is really rolling the dice.

I'll just tell you my experience (which compared to MANY on here is VERY limited..)

I started with dirtbikes, riding off the roadways and got a general feel for bikes. Then I got a '79 Suzi GS850 (standard issue streetbike). I also rode an '82 Virago (the cc escapes me at the moment..) during this time.

Then I got a Duc '94 SS900, dyno'd at 72 rwhp. (I mention the hp just to make the point that a literbike in '94 was about half the bike that a literbike today is.) Because of the geometry of a sportbike and other 'learner' factors, I lowsided the bike 2 times at wayyy under 5mph. If it had been a brand new bike, the damage would have been upsetting, and I would have felt obligated to fix it. Not to mention that today's bikes have more bodywork, and it's more expensive to replace. If it were new, I'd have had to buy a brake lever, a clutch cover, a turn signal, and a few other nickel and dime items. As it was, I forgot all about the damage and continued to ride, losing no money.

So the way I see it, even with the most mature and adult non-squid approach, one's first sportbike is going down. It comes down to a monetary thing from my point of view. Everything I've said refers to a non-literbike. Literbikes are a different story altogether. IMO, these days with literbikes all having close to or more than 150rwhp, I would say that starting off on one of those is VERY risky. Then the worry goes from dollars to safety.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that the Duc I got at 900cc, had less power than a new 600cc bike does. So even then, it's a very touchy bike, Especially considering how light ALL sportbikes are in recent years.

It would be easier on you and your wallet to get a feel for sportbikes on something older, less powerful and cheaper, IMO.

Last edited by sidewaysducati; 02-21-2005 at 01:43 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
IMO, with a consistent mature approach, the 600 is much less a safety risk than the literbike. IMO, no matter how mature one is, with the present day's literbikes being as powerful and responsive as they are, a literbike for one's first sportbike is really rolling the dice.

I'll just tell you my experience (which compared to MANY on here is VERY limited..)

I started with dirtbikes, riding off the roadways and got a general feel for bikes. Then I got a '79 Suzi GS850 (standard issue streetbike). I also rode an '82 Virago (the cc escapes me at the moment..) during this time.

Then I got a Duc '94 SS900, dyno'd at 72 rwhp. (I mention the hp just to make the point that a literbike in '94 was about half the bike that a literbike today is.) Because of the geometry of a sportbike and other 'learner' factors, I lowsided the bike 2 times at wayyy under 5mph. If it had been a brand new bike, the damage would have been upsetting, and I would have felt obligated to fix it. Not to mention that today's bikes have more bodywork, and it's more expensive to replace. If it were new, I'd have had to buy a brake lever, a clutch cover, a turn signal, and a few other nickel and dime items. As it was, I forgot all about the damage and continued to ride, losing no money.

So the way I see it, even with the most mature and adult non-squid approach, one's first sportbike is going down. It comes down to a monetary thing from my point of view. Everything I've said refers to a non-literbike. Literbikes are a different story altogether. IMO, these days with literbikes all having close to or more than 150rwhp, I would say that starting off on one of those is VERY risky. Then the worry goes from dollars to safety.
Gotcha.....what about an older R6, say a '01 compared to a '05? The main thing that makes me like the R6 is the look. If there was an r6 with the performance of a 600, i would get it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:54 PM

The R6 is a 600.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The R6 is a 600.
Well I know that, I meant the YZF 600R as opposed to the R6.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 04:29 PM

Ahh.

To me, comfort is more important than looks, so if you're going to tour on it, the 600R would be where I'd go.

Also, I saw 'R6' mentioned in the first post in this thread, and assumed (made an ass out of u and me) that you were kicking around the idea of race replicas, so all that talk of safety and such was aimed more at that.

I think the STs are a little more friendly, but I've never ridden one, so don't quote me on it.

Confused am I. Beer need now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode