need a little info please - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation need a little info please

hay all i have been looking through this forum for some time and decided to register. i would like to know what people think of the yamaha yzf-r6. i have not ridden yet and have in fact only sat on a couple of bikes at the dealership. do not think that i am even concedering this bike for my first purches becouse i am not. i just think it looks hot and would like to get opinins on it. my start bike will ither be a ninja 250 or 500. it depends on how my classes go on sunday. sorry the post was so long but would like to get to know the members of the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 03:35 PM

Welcome to the boards

I would say just about any of the current 600's are sweet, and so close to eachother reliability wise and performance wise that it just comes down to personal taste.

Sounds like you have been reading up and have a good idea on what type of bike to start on. I was looking at the 250 and 500's as well and ended up on a 250 due to a great price.

One more thing you might want to do if you have not already is call up your insurer and see what the premiums will be on the bikes that you are considering before jumping in.

Goodluck with the MSF tommorow
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Smile thank you

thank for the warm welcome i think im going to go with the 500r but getting it used so the price wont kill me. i did not like the feel of the 250 over much. im only 5' and the square set started to hurt my thighs when i sat on it for any length of time. glad to hear about the 600 but found out today that with my short stature i may not fit on one anyways. will a 500 last me through my life or am i going to get bored? thanks again

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 03:50 AM

The 500 should last you a while. I have the opposite problem as you though, being 6'6 the 250 actually fit me a little better than the 500 because of the tank shape.

I am not sure if I can get on any of the current 600's comfortably either. In that case I will probably look towards a naked SV or possibly a VFR.

I have had my 250 since mid april and its still a blast, I love the lightweight handling. I had to upgrade the front and back springs on it and I went with 20wt in the front forks and that made all the difference in the world.

How are the roads out where you live? Its very hilly and twisty on the west side of cincinnati. I suspect if it were just flat open straight roads one would want more power. Either way its a good bike to start on and get a handle on cornering and all the other skills.

If you have never ridden bikes before I suspect that will be enough power for a long time to come.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

the roads in wa.

the roads very alot. i know of a lot of open strait roads but there are also a lot of good twistys also. at least this way i can pick what pleases me on any given day. you are probably right the 500 will last me a long time. i dont really have to see how fast anything goes so it should be great as long as i like the way it handles. what color is your 250? im off to my first class day so talk to you later.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 10:49 AM

Its black, I just posted some pics in the new riders section
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 09:55 PM

It all depends on the kind of rider you become and how much you ride. More experience=better riding.
I'd say at least a year with a few thousand miles on the 500 before you think about upgrading.
For an experienced rider a 500 tends to be a bit underpowered but is by no means a bad bike. Dont expect it to be the only size you own but dont be suprised if it is.
The thought behind starting small is so that you dont get into trouble. The more power and agility a bike has the easier it is to get into trouble, either a mistake, a situation or just the speed demon in you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode