Ready to buy my first bike. Reccomendations please! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Ready to buy my first bike. Reccomendations please!

Hey everyone, Well it's finally time for me to buy my first bike. I'm extremely excited. But I wanted to bounce some questions off all of you first.

I'm 6'6 220 Lbs, So I am tall. And the main concern of mine is
what sportbike can I get that I will be somewhat comfortable
on and that I will also not look 100% goofy on?

I've probably ridden a total of about 1,000 miles on Street bikes, Tons more off-road. Bt never more than a 35 minute ride so I have not been able to just what bike I was most comfortable on.

I've ridden a SV650, a BMW K1200RS(I think) And a Ducati 996, I liked the BMW the most. The bike I want based on looks and whatnot is the R1. But I don't know if it's a good bike for me. I know after I ride for a while I would like to end up with a busa.

Can any of you recommend some bikes I should check out as a big guy and a new owner?

Thanks in advance!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 10:34 AM

A busa?????
Getting a bit ahead of yourself.

Do a search on the forum, there are plenty of threads with the answers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

No, I don't think so at all. I said after I ride for a while :-)

Thanks for your positive feedback!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:00 PM

Sorry, but to much for me to fathom especially with your mind pretty well made up.

Enjoy your R1 & after that definately the Busa as they are liked by so many.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 04:04 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
What is it with not only being unhelpful, but being a smart ass to boot? The guy is asking a serious question, so if you don't have any good advice then just shut up. We all had to start somewhere. Keep the negative shit to yourselves.

To answer the original poster: No, the R1 is not a good first bike for you. Nor will be the Busa. Those are bikes to look at down the road when you have a season or two and thousands of miles of experience. It's not that people don't want you to have a cool bike, it's that they want you to live long enough to be able to enjoy one.

Even at your size, just about any bike out there will move you faster than you can imagine. My guess is that your legs will be the hardest for finding the right fit. Your upper body will be a bit tucked up, but I think that will be unavoidable really no matter the bike. Some bikes to consider are:

-Kawasaki Ninja 500
-Suzuki GS500
-Suzuki SV650
-Older 600's (4-5+ years perhaps)

Try sitting on some of those and see how they feel. I know the CBR's always fit me best (I'm 6'2" w/ 34" inseam), but give them all a shot as everyone is different.

Good luck, and don't let a couple of shoddy posts discourage you.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 06:20 PM

WOW, cranky mod! I thought your had some reverence for Mr. Smitty.

Anyway, he already started an exact thread on the "new riders" section, and we answered his questions promptly as to why smaller could be better. He hasn't responded thus far.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 03:28 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
WOW, cranky mod! I thought your had some reverence for Mr. Smitty.

Anyway, he already started an exact thread on the "new riders" section, and we answered his questions promptly as to why smaller could be better. He hasn't responded thus far.
Not cranky, just tired of seeing replies like the ones above that are not helpful in the least. Somewhere along the way some of this site's older members have developed a seemingly zero tolerance attitude towards newbies. I realize that people tend to ask the same questions over and over, but if it irritates you then just skip over the thread. We were all beginners once.

I do respect Smitty very much as he's got twice as many years riding as I've been alive. That doesn't mean however that I take everything he says as the absolute gospel as I am more than capable of thinking for myself. I would have responded in the same way to anyone who made such remarks. I don't care if they have been riding for 5 months or 50 years, replies such as the one above are not needed nor are they welcome.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode