Newbie...Possible Ninja purchase. Good deal or am I getting ripped off? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Newbie...Possible Ninja purchase. Good deal or am I getting ripped off?

Hey everyone. I'm glad to be here. I have been reading the forums for a few days and joined today.

Here's the story. I took the written test and passed last month. I enrolled in the MSF course and that will be happening the end of next month.

A guy down the street from me is selling a 2002 Ninja 250 for 2K. I know he is trying to rip me off because I could get a 2004 model for 3K. I know, I know, it's a 250, but I think it might be a decent starter bike for me so that I could get used to riding.

I am 5'11', 190lbs and fairly athletic. I have always liked sportbikes and have wanted to buy one, but never wanted to go broke just to have a bike and since I live in a state with the four seasons. I would only be able to ride for 4-5months, tops.

From reading the boards, I think something like a 600 would fit my needs better, but I am in no rush. I want to do things right.

I am getting an HJC helmet next week and I plan to get some gloves and a leather jacket.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:02 PM

welcome. a nice clean 250 for $2k ain't a bad deal. great starter bike...i say go for it! don't forget all the little extras ....a new one will end up costing $3300-3500 (tax,tags, set-up etc) and only be worth $2500 as soon as you roll it out the door. good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:25 PM

rick is right in his perspective and his opinion. i agree with what he stated about it being a fine starter bike.

IMO, you will find a 250 too small, especially at 5'11" and 190lbs. and i don't think you will find too many people interested in buying it later on. some states don't allow 250cc's on the road. plus IMO, i personally don't care for Kawasaki's, but like i said, its my prefrence.

i would go with a 500CC bike to start off. either that or a mid 80's 600cc bike. thats my

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 04:36 PM

I also agree that $2000 for an '02 250 is actually a good price.

You might also want to have a look at Kawasaki's Ninja 500.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 12:03 PM

How many miles on it?

Go for the HJC ac-11 if it fits you well, I really think thats the flat out best helmet you can get for your $$
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

2,000 miles are on the bike.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 12:56 PM

I would ask him what he knows about the break in period of the bike if he was the only owner.

2k is kinda high but start at 1400 and haggle from there. I got a 99 with 6k on it for 1100 just to give you an idea.

If he knows about the break in rules chances are he treated it nice and i would go for it. Most people just ignore them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode