What to get? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

What to get?

I can get a pretty nice 99 ZX7R or a '01 YFZ600R for about the same price. The ZX& has 15,000mi and the YFZ has 3000. But the ZX7 has a chrome swingarm, polished frame, new paint job, aftermarket silencer. I don't kow what to do. I rode the ZX7 today, It was fast as hell. What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:17 PM

Simple:

Newbie...YZF600R
Not newbie...ZX7R
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 02:38 PM

I am getting the impression you are new to the sport, only because of the terminology you use. For future reference, it's a YZF600R, not YFZ600R. Because I assume you are new to the sport, I suggest NEITHER ONE. I would wholeheartedly recommend a 500cc bike such as a Kawasaki Ex500 (Ninja 500R) or a Suzuki GS500E. If you must have fairings, the new 2004 GS500F would work nicely. Hands down, a 600 is too powerful without knowing who you are specifically.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

OK I've lurked enough to know what not to say next...I think

I've ridden street bikes/dirt bikes/ATV's enough to be able to handle a bike better than the average guy. I will get a sport bike, most likely the ZX7R this week. In fact I rode it yesterday and was almost shocked at how strongly it accelerated and kept on pulling hard up in the higher RPM's..

I guess what I was looking for was..if YOU could get the 99 ZX7R or the '01 YZF600R which would you choose?

I WONT be racing, most of my riding will be commuting. I WANT A SPORTBIKE BAD, so I don't want a cruiser. I want something stupid fast, but I'm mature and have even wrecked a few street bikes being stupid, so I respect what sort of damage can result from being careless...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 05:10 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Cranman
I guess what I was looking for was..if YOU could get the 99 ZX7R or the '01 YZF600R which would you choose?
You're already going to buy one or the other, so does this really matter? Are you really going to buy a bike based on what online strangers would do?

Get the one that you like the best.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

The one that I like the best is the ZX7R, but I'm not that knowledgeable on the sport bikes. That's why I came here, for advice on the two bikes. So far I have not gotten alot of info about my initial question, although I appreciate the concern.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cranman
The one that I like the best is the ZX7R, but I'm not that knowledgeable on the sport bikes. That's why I came here, for advice on the two bikes. So far I have not gotten alot of info about my initial question, although I appreciate the concern.
The ZX7R is too much bike for a newbie...which you are! Sounds like you're gonna go for it anyway. If so...GOOD LUCK! We've seen this scenario soooo many times that it gets old. The fact is that, unless you have lots of REAL street experience, even the less hyper of the two (the YZF) is at the upper limit of where you should be looking. Might I suggest doing a search on first bikes? To answer your question...I would get the YZF...it has much better all around handling characteristics, especially if it was my only bike...and I've been riding for a long time!!!

Last edited by RSVRick; 05-11-2004 at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode