Just another noobi - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Just another noobi

Hello everyone. I am obviously new here. I just bought my first bike and am learning to ride. I have a 2004 Honda 600RR. I love it. I am just checking out the forums to find riders in my area or people to learn with. I love my new bike and want to make sure that I take care of it so if you have any advice or tips that have helped you they would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

I just have one more question. I am sure I will get it for this. I am waiting to sign up for the Motorcycle Safety foundations course but due to high demand in southern california I cannot get it until the begining of June. So as I was scanning the site for the location of the school it had a little warning that said since the instituion of the safety course and being able to use it as a waiver for the driving test that motorcycle accidents have gone up by 50 some percent. Is this course really worth the money or am I just blowing 200 dollars?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
Wow, where to start with this. A 600RR is can be quite a handful for your first bike. Many experienced riders advise beginners to start out on something smaller and used. do a search of this fourm on things like '1st bike', 'best beginers bike', etc and you'll see all the reasons why. A *great* thread that is currentlly active called "solid, practicle newbie advice" is something that you should read all the way through ASAP. Not only will it adress issues of why 600cc bikes often make poor choices for 1st bikes, but it also includes information about the MSF course. Better yet, it includes a great post from our new member "Giddeon777" about his experiences taking the MSF course this past weekend! hearing from another beginner about those issues can be invaluable to other new riders (who often think or feel that vetren riders are looking down on them).

IMHO, it would be a waste to spend $200.00 on anything *other* than the MSF course.

hope this helps,
-chr|s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your reply. I have done nothing for the last two days except read forums and see the discussions about bikes. I really respect the opinions and I have to say I wish I would have read a little. I went and got the bike before having ever ridden. I only have a permit and still have not taken this bike on the street. I think I may have gotten a little much but I will deal with it. I think it will work out ok but I am 27 with a kid and wonderful wife and therefore very grounded. I am taking this real slow and like I said taking a course as soon as it opens up. once again thanks and keep the comments comming.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 07:24 AM

MSF course

I would say that the course is absolutely worth the money for new riders, and for riders who have been riding for a while.

The basic course teaches you a lot of stuff that you probably don't think about if teaching yourself, and wouldn't learn otherwise.

More importantly, you learn how to maneuver your bike on the street (complete with methods to handle your ride in adverse conditions). Those skills could literally save your life. The confidence and competence you develop will be well worth more than the $200 you lay down for the class.

Good luck, and enjoy riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode