New and commuting gear thoughts - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

New and commuting gear thoughts

Hey, just joined, been riding a Baby 'Ceptor ('84 VF500F) since this past spring, twice MSF certified, but first ride. I'm on a few other, specialty boards, but this one has tons of general info that's great.

So here's the thoughts part. Currently have a cheap helmet and no leather. I travel ~60mph for two hours a day to/from work here in Indiana when its above 52F. My entire gift list for the year has been safety gear, and I've read lots of folks suggesting leather. At that speed, it seems logical that leather's the only choice, esp on the back country roads that have gravel.

Gonna drop the throw-away helmet as soon as I can. So, what's everyone got for gear? Any perf'd leathers out there that have to deal with ~100F temps and high humidities? What about gloves that are good for the hot temps? I plan to have a separate pair for cooler weather; Teknic Violator Pro's.

Everyone do their own bike work? I'm in process of POR-15'ing my fuel tank since its got a bit of rust and the fuel filter's getting the grit. Anyone try this out already?

That's it for now, I suppose. Long note, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:26 AM

For crash protection, leather with armor is probably your best choice. I did a track day with perf'ed leather at about 105 degrees (low humidity though). As long as you are moving, it's not too bad. If you use leathers for commuting, you will have to change clothes on arrival. Get a one piece suit (jacket/pants) or a two piece that zips together all the way around.

Lots of folks swear by the suits made by Aeorstitch (and others) especially for commuting. They go over your "normal" clothes so you don't have to worry about changing. They are pretty waterproof and come with vents for warm weather. Again a one piece is safest, but a two piece that zips together is fine.

There are lots of leather gloves out there with vents or perf'ed sides on the fingers. Again leather is best and the gauntlet should come above the jacket sleeve. My $0.02 YMMV
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 12:08 PM

One piece Aerostitch Roadcrafter is a great suit. I love mine. It and other textile products are better suited to commuting than leather. If you are on a tight budget, don't bother looking at Aerostitch. They are rather pricey.

Joe Rocket textile gear seems pretty good for the money.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 01:35 PM

Basically I go for good textile two piece outfits. Presently the Joe Rocket is a deceent line I have used for the past few yrs. Problem with leather is COST (Aerostitch one piece is about the same price as a two piece of leather or it can actually be LESS).
To be honest for some 50 plus yrs I have woren textile gear, but when it came to comp., then in some cases I had to purchase leathers yet in others I would still stick with textile gear as it breathed better, easy to clean, often more waterproof & not so costly to replace.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:48 AM

perfed leather

I love my Vanson perf leather jacket, as long as i'm moving. I rarely split lanes, except if i'm caught in high temps with it on. Black leather and the heat off the engine, while in traffic ain't no fun!! Let's face it...perfed or not, its a black leather jacket, so it can get HOT! However, from a protection standpoint...leather is it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode