Cautious Newbie - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Cautious Newbie

Hello all. Never rode. I'm just starting out. I've grown tired of hauling the cage around for short stints to NYC.
I know I need to start slow. MSF courses, closed course practice, etc.
Got to do some footwork at the dealers....I can't decide between SV650, R6, Gixxer750, Fireblade954, a Monster, or to wait for Multistrada, or new RC211V in 2003.
I appreciate the immeasurable amount of info, support, and dedication you guys/gals have to this lifestyle.
How many of you purchased what you want to master, thus becoming one a particular machine and it's behaviors as opposed to learning basics on a lesser and droppable beat-up bike?
I'm not saying I'm trying to get a Hayabusa as a first ride but I'm curious as to the familiarization process.
What I'm trying to say is does a Stealth bomber pilot practice on a DC-10?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:12 AM

If you have never ridden a bike before get one without plastic because you will likely drop it at some point. The SV650, while perhaps a bit powerful as a beginner bike, would be the best choice in your list. It has a very forgiving power delivery. Though it might not seem like a powerful machine compared to other bikes, it'll run the 1/4 mile quicker than almost any production car. The Monster 600 would be another decent choice but the SV is probably a better bike for less money. SVs are also a whole lot of fun to ride and you may never outgrow it.

I started on a beat up old 750 Yamaha. Too heavy for a beginner bike.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:16 AM

I started out on my SV650 and haven't truly mastered it yet in over 2 years (maybe I'm just slow). It depends a lot on your attitude. An R6, 954, or 750 can get you killed a lot quicker than a 650. How much maturity and self control do you have? Good start with MSF and taking it slowly. Stealth bomber pilots probably started out on single engine prop planes, then dual, then jets, etc., with simulators thrown in all along the way to make emergency actions automatic for real.

I'm curious about your comment on NYC. I find San Francisco enough of a pain on a bike; I can't imagine New York.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Stoinky thanks for the response and advice. Will consider Sv650 .
RayO, thanks for the response. NYC only at night. People walk faster than traffic during days. I'm not trying to pay a gougy garage.

I heard night cornering is difficult due to fixed headlights on fairing. Does this affect you?

Last edited by Straightliner; 09-18-2002 at 11:48 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:40 AM

I love my CBRf4i. It is my first bike and I was worride it would be too much, but it suits me well. Very comfortable to ride and fun. low end power won't get you in trouble, but anything over 7k rpm has the potential to. As far as night cornering, I hate it, you can't see very far ahead of you while corning at night.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:52 AM

SV650 as a new or 'used' bike----

----but take a look at the GS500 which is a bullet proof engine/cog box, lots of torque at lower end so engine does not have to rev to get moving (less chance of stalling on take-off), more sensible riding position, NO plastics, & an all around ideal bike for one new to riding---for things like carbs, spark plugs & such are NOT hidden behind plastic. Believe me this bike has lots of poke & will scoot along at a darn good pace. NOT a sportbike, but so close to it that shifting to the other later on it will be a piece of cake.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Liggy and Smitty. So, the consensus is start slow and low on the cc's. Stay within a manageable (spelling?) power and handling range. Thanks everyone I will consider the naked bikes because its impractical to drop a fully faired starter bike (unless I put sliders on it) just kidding.
I will start slow and low and graduate to more power in the future after mastery.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:32 PM

After looking at the SV650 (no fairing, headligh moves with bars) and the SVS650 (half fairing, stationary headlights) closely one day, I figured one of them had to be wrong. I have the naked SV and have had no issues seeing when cornering at night.

BTW, I did put a 1/4 fairing on my SV to block the wind at speed. Without it I found the wind hitting my whole upper body disturbing at any speed above about 50. With the small fairing, the wind hits about helmet height which seems good. Same may be true for a GS500.

I've heard others say that a bike is great in San Francisco at night as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode