Newbie from Pa with a zx-6r - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Smile Newbie from Pa with a zx-6r

Thought I'd try to introduce myself without sounding like a complete newbie. I'm from Lancaster, Pa and I have to say that I've learned a lot just from reading your threads. It took me a while to figure out what 'cager' meant, but I got it now...I definitely was a 'cager' and still am to some extent...what can I say, I like imports...I decided that this was the year for something more exciting though, so first I got a helmet cuz I thought it'd be cool...then I got a license...even cooler, then finally I couldn't wait any longer so I got a 2 wheeler...2k2 Kawi Ninja zx-6r...I know...there are a lot of you who dislike ninjas, but it's a great starter bike...I figured I'd at least live for a while on this one...I rode it off the lot on July 1st, (for the most part never rode a bike before)...was really impressed with my initial handling of the speed (a whopping 25mph...woohoo) and it's now a little over a month older and I've turned 1300 miles today...I pretty much parked my 'cager' and there's where it stays. I'm open to any suggestions as to not be an idiot on the bike, and I'm sooo happy with the comradery of other riders (yes...even the harley kind...since I do live in Harley country)...I thank you all ahead of time as I see everyone is really supportive to newbies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 03:39 PM

Just use your brain and you'll be fine. Don't try to keep pace with riders more advanced with you, only ride at your comfort level.

the 6R is an excellent bike, and I'm sure you'll have lots of good times on it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 01:13 AM

Re: Newbie from Pa with a zx-6r

Quote:
Originally posted by drluv318
I know...there are a lot of you who dislike ninjas, but it's a great starter bike...
Starter bike? Now you're really starting to sound like a newbie!
Actually, those of us with more than a couple of brain cells (we don't buy our bikes based on what motomag writers preach) will tell ya there's a lot to like 'bout Kawasakis. True, they don't get any respect from press wonks and newbies, and mebbe it's just me, but I seem to notice many older riders opting for Kawasakis.
Mebbe they know something, or are just comfortable enough with themselves to not haff to stroke their ego with something a press wonk tells 'em is the greatest?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 07:04 PM

I think you picked a great bike, but I'm biased My 6R is my first bike as well, and I admit I was real tentative on it at the beginning. Taking the MSF basic class really made a night and day difference in my confidence level and my general road awareness, so I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. I guess if I had to give one pointer, it would be "the bike will go where you look." Stay safe, and have fun on that bike!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 07:24 PM

Whatever happened to buying an $800 GS450 or CB500 for a first bike? I can't imagine myself at 19 with zero experience riding a ZX6R. Jesus. Be careful.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 12:47 PM

My first bike is a 2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R. I love it.

I rode my buddies 2001 R6 through some mountain twisties, and when I got off, my back hurt really bad from the crunched position. The Kawi's are very comfortable, and can still keep up with the best of them. Just look at the AMA races that Eric Bostrom wins. He's been winning all over the place on his Kawi 7R and 6R.

I've started to experiment with wheelies. So far I can only do 1st gear clutch wheelies, but i'm not standing up.. I'll try that a bit later, when I have on my Joe Rocket Highside suit just to be safe.

Oh, and whenever I drag race with my buddy when he's on his R6, I kick his butt. He's only beat me like 3 times.....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 02:37 PM

Smile

Hey drluv318,

Welcome to SBW.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lord tim
Whatever happened to buying an $800 GS450 or CB500 for a first bike? I can't imagine myself at 19 with zero experience riding a ZX6R. Jesus. Be careful.
Where can I get one of these $800 GS450 or CB500? For that price, I'll take one!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

why spend money on somethign that I'd grow out of in a few months...I figured go with something a little bigger, and I'll grow into it...I'm sure you don't use your bathtub to see if you like to swim before you buy a pool...or paint one side of the house to see if you like it, then maybe a few months down the road you decide that this is the color you want for the whole house....ok so that one's sorta dumb..but you get the idea
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 04:18 PM

get some frame sliders if you're starting wheelies.... fairings are expensive!

If I can have a second bike for $800 more.... why the hell not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode