Another new guy... finally switched to sportbikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Talking Another new guy... finally switched to sportbikes

Well, I finally sold my last POS motorcycle and decided to get something new :-) Settled on a 2001 Superhawk with 1 mile on it. I like the get up and go of the 4s, but can't resist the character of a V-twin. And MAN does it have oodles of torque. The thing pulls my arms off from idle to redline...

Anyways, I got some D&D carbon fiber pipes waiting to go on, and already did some mods to the tail to clean it up a little bit, and I ran across a problem while riding the other day...

The front wheel doesn't like to stay on the ground
Now, i imagine intentional wheelies are fun, but I sort of overreacted and almost dumped the bike. My request is, does anyone have tips for someone new to one wheel riding on how to keep this from getting out of control? I don't wanna do the wrong thing like slam the rear brake or anything obviously, but how do you bring it down smooth? Or maybe this is a better question: How should I go about accelerating FAST as HELL, without bringing the wheel up. 3rd-6th is no problem, but in 1st or 2nd it comes up too easily... Anyways thanks guys..

James in VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 07:22 PM

Welcome to the wild side .

As for your front wheel either keep all of your weight forward, or just enjoy the feeling.

Its always freeky the first 20 - 30 times your wheel leaves the ground. Just stay relaxed as posible, and keep your arms loose.

If possible when the front comes up try not to dump the throttle, just roll it of a hair and you wont hit so hard on the tarmack.

With time you will get the feel of it, and know when the wheel is going to get light on you.

Have fun with your new toy its a nice bike.
Ride safe.

Jack
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 01:52 PM

You may consider going up and down on your front and rear sprockets, that'll change your performance through every gear so try subtle changes in both sprockets, some times 1 up and down is enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode