Why not!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Angry Why not!!!

I want a 2002 R6 for my first bike. For some reason my husband ha s told me pick something else. Says itís too fast for a first bike. I have self-control. I should be ok on it right? Watch yíall think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 02:48 AM

People advise against getting a 600 for a first bike because they don't want to see you wadd it up, or even worse, wadd up yourself. A 600cc sportbike is a very high performance piece of machinery. Would you learn to drive in a Ferrari? Well your R6 would kick most Ferrari model cars in the 1/4 mile etc.

Now when experienced people tell you not to start on one of these bikes, it's not that they don't want you to have a really nice bike. It's that they really care about you and don't want to see hurt.

An R6 is a kick ass bike. In the hands of the skilled rider it will have the edge on all of the other 600cc bikes in production today. But it does so at a price. It is not as tolerant of your mistakes as some of the other 600s. Some call it twitchy ...

My advice: get something else to start on! A bike that ain't gonna cost you as much when you drop it (and you will - everybody drops their first bike). Get a bike that is a lot more forgiving, and won't get you in over your head as quickly. Spend as much as you can afford on gear - good helmet, boots, and leathers. While you don't have any of the smaller bikes over there that proliferate my country, I am told that an EX500 makes an ideal first bike.

Don't be in so much of a hurry to get that 'ultimate' bike. Play your cards right, and you will be riding for many many years, and own or ride a great variety of excellent bikes.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 09:21 AM

I agree with Dave. I strongly suggested that my girlfriend learn how to ride on a light unimtimidating bike. After one season (and three or four "incidents") on her used ninja 250, she is now on a nice new ZX 6. Be patient, learn how to ride first...you'll be better off in the long run!!! BTW: a rider safety course is always a good idea as well

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 05:40 PM

I bought a Katana 600 for my first bike and I totally luv it. I started out with something cheaper to learn on. I would definitely recommend getting a cheaper bike to learn on... because you will most likely drop it. I wanted to start out with a new pretty lookin bike... the R6. It's a gorgeous bike and I plan on gettin one after a year or so. Take it slow. The R6 is great but it's very powerful and probably not the bike you want to learn on. If you want something with at least some power I'd go for a slower 600. The Katana is powerful enough for a first bike taht you won't get bored, but it's not overwhelming! Very heavy though )
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 06:05 PM

1st bike

It really depends upon your experience and skill level. You didn't mention if you had any riding experience.

Most sources agree that a smaller cheaper bike is better to start with. Most often suggested for a first sportbike are the SV650S and Ninja 500s.

600 class and bigger can get you in trouble faster if you are immature with the power. But your biggest danger will usually be other cars on the road.

Just glad you didn't say that you wanted to start out on a GSX-R 1000 or an R1.... ; )
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 06:56 PM

Hey countrygirl... I have been riding for a few years now and my R6 is my third bike so I'm not a pro or anything but I can give you some advice at least. I think you should start with something cheaper and smaller like everybody else suggests. I had a blast with my first bike which was a 250 even though it is a slow bike. It felt very fast at the time to me,so it doesn't matter what bike you get at first because it probably won't dissappoint you as far as speed and handling. IMO you have nothing to lose by getting a cheap bike at first to learn on since you can pretty much sell it for the same price that you paid within a year or so. With a 600 you have to be cautious with the power so you don't spin the tire on some crap on the street and you don't have to baby the throttle so much, but with a smaller bike you can still have lots of fun with a lot less to worry about.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 01:24 PM

Does your husband ride? Well, that's got nothing to do with it. Listen to him.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 11:12 AM

Well my first bike was a 93 GS500 and I tell you what it was the best thing I ever did. I kept it for about 2 years and about 3 months ago I bought a 2002 cbr f4i. I wouldn't start out on something with alot of power. I have had to many friends do that and they no longer have there bikes or there not as pretty as they used to be if you know what I mean. Just be careful.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 11:53 AM
bob

do it!!
I wish I had a year ago when I got a 600r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode