I am very new - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I am very new

Hello all, my name is Shawn. I am very new to the ridding world to be honest I don't even have a ride yet. I am searching for advice on that as a matter of fact. I am thinking of getting a ZX6R. I have heard different sides of the story. Enough to confuse me terribly. Is this a good choice for a first bike. I say this honestly, money is not the factor. I just want to get a good bike, mainly one for a beginner. Please feel free to give your opinions. Thank you for the opportunity to learn from you all.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 12:16 AM

Hi Shawn,

Welcome to sportbikes. The absolute first thing you should do is take an MSF safety course.... It teaches you all of the things you need to know to get your feet off of the ground! www.msf-usa.org

Secondly, a zx-6r is a race replica bike, very fast, very powerful. It is an awesome bike, but very fast for a beginner. I bought a 92 kawasaki zx-6d as my first bike... plenty of power, a little heavy, very stable, and not as fast as the newer 600's but can still keep up! If money is no object, buy a well used 600, or a newer 500... "any fool can go fast in a straight line, it's learning to turn and stop the motorcycle where skill comes in"!!! be safe, ride smart!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 12:31 PM

Thumbs up

Of course the ZX-6R is a great bike for a beginner. Just remember to respect the power of the 600 class. Don't believe all that you read from the "PRO" riders out there who run liter bikes. Of the 600 bikes such as the CBR600F4i, GSX-R600, the YZF-R6, and the ZX-6R, that Kawasaki is the better all around choice.

I would also agree on taking the MSF safety course. It really teaches you the correct way to ride a bike. Just sign up early. Here in California the wait was 3 months to get in.

Ride safe.

Noel

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 01:45 PM

Do yourself a favor.

Don't go for that "I gotta have the newest and best crap". Get a used bike, and ride on that for a year. This way you won't have to worry about how beautiful your bike looks, and you can concentrate on how well you ride. EVERYBODY does something stupid to their first bike and damages it. I've even heard of people forgetting to put their feet down at a traffic light . ( I parked mine a soft driveway and it tipped off it's kickstand 3 minutes later.)

Take the money you saved and do the MSF thing and get good gear. If in a year you find you like riding, and you know what type of riding you like best ....go for it. I rode my 1st bike 4 years, tipped it 3x, put 20,000 km on it and sold it for what I paid for it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 01:46 PM

B.T.W. welcome to the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode