Hello - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Talking Hello

Hello. I'm brand new to this forum. Hopefully, I'll learn a few things here and decide to stick around. I am the proud owner of a Silver and Black Honda CBR 954. This is my first bike, and I'm looking forward to many years of fun. I live in San Diego, so if there is anyone else out there from SD, give me a yell.......JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 10:54 PM

Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally posted by JBinSD
Hello. I'm brand new to this forum. Hopefully, I'll learn a few things here and decide to stick around. I am the proud owner of a Silver and Black Honda CBR 954. This is my first bike, and I'm looking forward to many years of fun. I live in San Diego, so if there is anyone else out there from SD, give me a yell.......JB
a 954 for your first bike? All I can say is be careful, for your sake wear protective gear! Welcome to SBW
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 05:05 AM

yeah, thats a big first bike....the tillis was my first, and not as bad as people say. just respect it, and for God's sake, LEARN HOW TO STOP!!!!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Yep, the 954 is my first bike. I actually did a lot of contemplating on this subject. I was going to start off with something a little smaller, and "upgrade" in about a year or so. I have several friends who all started out with 600s (R6, F3, and F4). All of them moved up to a liter bike after 9 mos to a year. And they lost lots of money in the process. I know that a bike is money pit that will never yield the money invested. So, I didn't want to throw my money away, and start over. I browsed at some of the newer bikes, and most of the new liter bikes are pretty much built on 600 frames. The 954 is a sweeeet bike, and has the same weight as an F4i, with a couple of more ponies stock. So why not get the 954 and trust myself to eeaassee my way into it? I'm not as young and stupid (I was going to say crazy, but it translates into young and stupid) as I was when I was 19. I trust myself to progress gradually. So, I opted to go with something that I felt would be with me for quite a while. Just my way of looking at it.

And Neeo, luckily the 954 has some of the best brakes out. Stopping has not been an issue (yet).

F3Bufford, I always wear safety gear. I want to enjoy this sport/hobby for quite some time.

Thanks for the advice though.........JB
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 10:35 AM

Quote:
And Neeo, luckily the 954 has some of the best brakes out. Stopping has not been an issue (yet).
Yeah, All the new sportbikes have the capacity to stop on a dime. They also have a willingness to lock up the brakes, so be careful.....that's all I'm saying. Ride safe & enjoy!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 03:12 PM

Did almost the same thing.

I was going to buy a CBR600 of 90's or newer as my first bike as well. But after looking for a while at the used bikes here in Washington they all seemed really overpriced. I mean 6 grand for a f3 when the f4i's sell for like 7700 or something is nuts.

So I ended up getting a 93 CBR 900RR for less than some of the 600's are selling for. So far all good, have logged about 1500 miles on it in the past 3-4 weeks and dropped it once at about 1mph. Popped the front brake handle off and scratched a sticker is all but dented my pride pretty badly. Full riding gear and having fun on the bike and easing into the power, especially after reading extensively on these boards.

The new 954's are nuts though. 30 lbs less and 30 more horsepower than the 900's if I recall correctly. I mean my bike weighs 400 lbs and has around 115 hp with the pipe (maybe less) and getting on it full throttle scares the hell out of me. That bike of yours pulls harder, I can barly imagine what that must feel like. Heck I only think I pulled it on full throttle all of 3 times and I'm not gonna be doing it again for some time to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode