As per username, need some recommendations - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

As per username, need some recommendations

Hi everyone. I am a brand new rider who will be purchasing a sportbike over the next month or so. Now, Im looking for suggestions about what you experienced folk think would be a good bike? Ie: How much power do you think is appropriate, brand etc. An acquaintance of mine told me that body weight is important in choosing a bike, however I have no idea if this is true, but at any rate, Im about 5 foot 9 160 pounds.
Any help on what is appropriate would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 05:30 AM
Pete

Welcome to SBW!

Your acquaintance is correct in way, but at 160lbs, you won't have to worry about being too heavy for any bike out there. Now, if you were 325 and wanted a Ninja 250, that would be a different story.

Brand new rider? As in never been on a bike before? If so, get thee to a beginner's rider course before you do anything else. At the very least, have an experienced friend, one of the more mature, responsible ones, give you some instruction on how to ride. Getting instruction from a motorcycle sales guy as you leave the dealership on your new bike is not a bright idea.

As for a first bike, you might not like my advice. I always suggest that new riders start out on the dirt, as in with a dual-purpose bike. There is no better place for a beginner to learn balance, turning, shifting, braking, throttle control, etc., than on the dirt, for obvious reasons. An added bonus is this method of entry into motorcycling is relatively inexpensive. You can find a good used dual-purpose bike for about the same amount of $ as you're likely to spend repairing broken bits on a new sportbike should you go down on the street. I'm not saying you will go down, but just giving you something to consider. Once you feel comfortable on the dirt, you can move up to street riding. You'll be doing it on a bike that you're comfortable with, and it will make for a more enjoyable experience.

If you just have to have a sportbike, or don't have access to off-road riding areas, then it would be best to start off with something in the 500-600cc class. Remember, the less plastic it has on it, the less costly the repairs will be. Even used bikes in this category, which is what I suggest, have enough power to get you in a world of trouble. Respect is mandatory.

When considering the cost of getting into riding, don't forget the cost of gear, as many people do. You should have, at a minimum, a full-face helmet, riding gloves, armored leather or textile jacket, and over-the-ankle boots to get started. Having armored pants, instead of jeans, is also a smart idea.

That's all I have time for at the moment. Others will chime in with good advice. Good luck and keep us posted.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 01:37 PM

Cool

Welcome to SBW! I agree with Pete,start out on the dirt,or with a dual purpose bike. It would suck to dump a brand new bike! As far as size goes, I am the exact same size as you,and I dont want anything bigger than a 600. Go with something used, and WEAR YOUR GEAR! Good luck...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 06:59 PM

Thumbs up

Hiya!!
Welcome to SBW!!
Be smart and take it slow..ask lots of questions.
Take the MSF course too!!

Jim
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 02:06 PM

Re: As per username, need some recommendations

Quote:
Originally posted by NewRider
Hi everyone. I am a brand new rider who will be purchasing a sportbike over the next month or so. Now, Im looking for suggestions about what you experienced folk think would be a good bike? Ie: How much power do you think is appropriate, brand etc. An acquaintance of mine told me that body weight is important in choosing a bike, however I have no idea if this is true, but at any rate, Im about 5 foot 9 160 pounds.
Any help on what is appropriate would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance!
Per Pete's advice, I think a Dual-Sport is an excellent idea. I just happen to have a Kawasaki, that with just a couple of mods, would be totally streetable. It's a bike that won't disappoint, and you probably won't outgrow it anytime soon. I'll make you a good deal... interested?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 06:03 AM

Cool Info everywhere!!

There's a ton of information on this web site regarding brand new riders. Take a couple of hours (that's what it will take) and start perusing all the forum areas. You will find a plethora of information and opinions that will surely whet your appetite as well as help you make informed decisions as to what would be best for *you*. To get started, cruise on over to the Kawasaki forums.. there you will find much of what I'm talking about... and, the opinions aren't a bunch of people telling you to by kawa*, (since it's the kawa forum). Rather they give good, honest advice. Good luck to you. Let me know what you end up purchasing.. Last but not least please.. for the love of God, take the MSF course. You'll love yourself for it, and so will other riders.

*I say this because at this time in your decision process you don't need everyone saying: "Buy Honda!" or "Buy Kawasaki!".. you need real advice and opinion that you can take and apply to your needs. I will say this, I'm a first time rider as well and I didn't go the dual-sport "dirt" route.. and I'm doing great with my bike.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 09:14 PM

Well, since all the good advice is already given here....welcome!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 03:10 PM

I've been riding now for over a month (yes, without a license) and this weekend I completed the MSF course. It was truly a great course and I learned a good bit. Not so much about general riding skill (I've been riding a while) but a lot about different types of bikes, general knowledge of do's and don'ts, and some strategy tips for street riding. As with everyone else on this forum (it is everyone right? ) I highly recommend taking the MSF course. If you are a first time rider you will learn nearly everything you need to learn to be able to get started on your bike. I don't mean you'll run out and start hitting the twisties in 2 weeks, but at least you will feel comfortable getting out in a neighborhood and then moving on from there. The Beginners MSF course should be required by law of all motorcyclists before an endorsement is given. My 2 cents. Oh, and I forgot to mention I learned a ton of statistics on what makes riders crash, what the leading causes of these crashes were, why some injuries occurred, and nearly every time what type/skill driver was involved in the crash. Not suprisingly, somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% of all motorcycle crashes were caused because the driver was self-taught (never took the MSF course). Additionally, the crash/injuries could have been avoided if the driver had the skills taught in the MSF course.

So, if you haven't taken it, take it.

Last edited by Trajik; 07-15-2001 at 03:13 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 03:30 PM

Welcome!!! I agree on what the others have said; however, don't get something that you will regret tomorrow. From my experienced, people who ask others for advice tend to agree with the people that feel/think like them. So, even if an experience rider tells you star on a daul bike, and you don't really like the idea and later on you find someone else who says to start on a used CBR600Fx and you felt that way before then you are going to end up getting the CBR. So, get what would make you happy BUT DONNOT FORGET TO GET THE DARN GEAR!!!

Thats my 2 pesos!! and good luck,
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 12:50 PM

The advice has been givin. So I have one thing left.

Welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode