New here.... again. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Talking New here.... again.

What's up? (rhetorical question )

I've been hangin' around this site for more than a year now, and I'm sure I have at least one other registered name ("at least" being greatly emphasized ), but I have since "forgotten" what they were, which is good, 'cause I caused a bit of hell raising at times in the past with some current members, who will remain unnamed at this time ....

Anyways, I'm currently 16 and I'll be taking my driving test (for a car) on July 14th. After that, I'm going to get a motorcycle permit and take the MSF course. Then, after I get a job and make some money, I'm gonna pick up a used bike for $1000-$1500 and use the rest of the money for gear. Since I've been on this forum, I've asked at least a hundred questions (literally), and I've gotten some great answers.

My current bike is '95 Mongoose Menace.... I like to think of it as a motorcycle without an engine. The bike I'm actually looking to start out on is the Kawi EX500, although I might get the EX250, or a GS500E, or maybe even an Interceptor 500.... it all depends on what's available.

Oh, and the name I've picked this time (Abos) is the name of my goldfish. Originally, I named him (or her, I'm not really sure) Abe, but I didn't want it to be short for Abraham 'cause that sounds too biblical. So.... Abos.

Scott.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:51 PM

Welcome again.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by HeckLer1979
Welcome again.

Thanks.... but technically, I've been here longer than you.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 10:46 PM

So, technically speaking by the record of the network/computer I've been here longer than you...just playing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 08:19 PM

Smile

Hiya!!
Welcome(#2)!!

Jim
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 09:04 PM

Cool

Welcome back!

Joe!
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 7,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium exhaust system, K&N, Jetted, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-owner/Administrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 06:42 AM
RRADBIKER

New Riders

WILKOMEN,

Please do not take any offense at an OLD (more than 40 years) rider making a few comments on your post. My comments will generally be in the 'loaded rhetorical question' style that I use to communicate. Some find this 'offensive' and intrusive but really I'm just trying to help (GEEZ that sounds like some IRS guy asking about income taxes). Anyway, I used to be a gov bozo and I maintain some rather nasty communication styles.

Have you ridden a 'powered' two-wheel vehicle off-road yet? I know you said you ride a 'bike' off-road but I inferred you met one that you peddle. Was my inference correct? If you have the time and desire the purchase and use of a good dirt bike (motorized not peddled) can give you a feel for how a powered two-wheel vehicle responds to the changes in 'gravity,' leverage and other matters of physics that can cause bodily injury. Also, in the dirt you can get away with some less than complete gear. A good set of boots, some jeans and ALWAYS a helmet is enough.

You will save some money that way. Also, if you buy a VERY USED dirt bike you might be inclined to work on it yourself. If you have the inclination to do such things. I used to work on my two-strokes but the inline four high performance motors of today are a bit challenging for me now. But a little knowledge about things can help you deal with 'service managers' who might want to tell you things about your bike that are not necessarily needed. A guy just told me I should change the front forks on my ZX11 to get better handling. A beast is a beast is a beast. If I wanted a better handling bike I would purchase a 600, they are the best.

As to your idea of purchasing an EX500, if you are dead set on going onto the street, look at the Suzuki Seca series not this Kawi piece of junk. There are other choices too, like the older F3s. Going to 600 does not hurt. Just remember the bike only goes as fast as you TURN the handle. Take it slow and easy at first so you and the bike can get to know eachother. I've been riding Kawi since 1968 when I purchased my first H1 (500 cc, 3 cylinder, two-stroke RICE ROCKET). I am not anti-Kawi, I just know their machines.

Your choice to take an MSF course is a GREAT ONE. I take any course because it is my attitude that I can always learn something from anyone else. It's an attitude that has kept me fairly safe from harm and on motorcycles for more than 40 years.
Have fun in PA and enjoy the riding but remember, on the street the bozos in boxes CAN KILL YOU. Expect them to be stupid.

Cheers,
RRADBIKER
ps WHEW that was rather long-winded, ehh?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Two things....

First, about getting a dirtbike, I did consider that at one time. However, I don't presently live near any trails (I'm very close to Philly), and I'm not willing to spend money on a trailer. I've also considered dual sports, but I decided against them. However, when I go to college (I graduate from HS in 2003), I'll probably be going to Penn State (family tradition.... sort of), and that place is practically surrounded by mountains (lotsa' trails). If I go there, I'll definitely try to pick up a used dirtbike, or I might even get an old one off my uncle (he lives up there).

Secondly, about my choice in a bike, I'm basing my decision on the EX mainly upon price and availability in my area. I haven't found too many Seca's yet, but I have come upon Katanas and CBR's in my price range.... so if they are in good condition and the insurance warrants it, they'd be an option. Although, about what you said in reference to the EX500, I think a lot of people would disagree with you. Doesn't matter though, it's my decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode