High Mileage? You too?!? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Cool High Mileage? You too?!?

I recently purchased a '01 Ninja 500 (to start on), actually, about 2 1/2 months ago. I have already put close to 1500 miles on the bike since then... I want to sell it beginning of next summer and step up to a bigger, nicer, bike (750-900cc) but I notice a lot of people shunning bikes that have ANY mileage on them and I don't want to get slammed on resell...

So, my questions... How can you keep the mileage off? Seems silly to not put any on it... Am I the only one that rides that much?!? How much do you think I would get for my bike next year if I put, say, 5,000 miles on it?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 07:53 PM

Cool

Hiya!!
Welcome to SBW!!
Well,you could disconnect the speedo......(J/K).
Ride the darned thing and worry about tomorrow when it gets here!!!
I bought mine in 1993 and just passed the 20,000 mile mark. The bike is well cared for and shows it! I keep excellent service records too. I know a couple people that want to buy the bike,because they know how well I maintain the Kat.
I guess the point I am trying to make,(and am doing a rotten job),is live for today,go ride,enjoy!!
Otherwise the only other choice is to park it now and keep the miles and wear off it. If you bought from a dealer,and he services it he should give you a good trade in value for it,(if he is honest).
Life is too short,go enjoy your Ninja,you've earned it!!

JIM
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 08:06 PM

Matt,
You probably lost $1,000.00 when you drove it off the showroom floor. Don't worry about it. You bought it to ride. Ride it. Take care of it, and when you get ready to sell it to buy something else, you will get what is reasonable in your area for the bike as long as it isn't crashed or ragged out. It will be money well spent. The more miles you put on it, the more of your money's worth you get out of it. And, the more experience you get so you will be more ready to move up to a bigger bike.
Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 08:35 PM

ride the hell out of it

thats what you paid (whatever they cost) to do, right?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 09:55 PM
Dad

Good maintenance, clean, stock, will bring good buck and/or rapid sale every time. Maintenance records don't hurt either. Anything up to about 15,000 miles shouldn't cause a buyer to get too excited about miles if the bike is super clean. That's JMO.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Exactly what I was hoping for. To be honest, I didn't realize that motorcycles are similar to cars when buying and selling. I really love the bike, I might actually keep it for a few years, but in the plans right now I would like to step up in a year (based on if I'm ready or not).

My car, a 99 Mercury Cougar, has 41,000 miles on it and it's not even 2 years old yet... I love my car and don't even think about the mileage when I get in but that's because I'm never selling it (j/k)...

Thanks for the input, makes me feel better about riding the hell out of it (mileage wise).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by katana600
I bought mine in 1993 and just passed the 20,000 mile mark.
Wow! How do you have time to work with all that riding?

Matt, I agree with everyone else. I just put 12,000 on my Duc in 13 months. Try reselling that! If you didn't know, most people don't ride Ducatis, they just buy them and stare at them. When I am done I will have a bitch of a time reselling it. I have decided to keep it forever. Won't loose money that way! Except in valve maintence.
Ride the bike as much as possible. If the mileage gets too high, so what, prolly end up wrecking it and having the insurance pay for it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 06:31 PM

Welcome.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by funksouljon

Ride the bike as much as possible. If the mileage gets too high, so what, prolly end up wrecking it and having the insurance pay for it.
EEEeekk!!! I hope I don't wreck! Thanks again!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:06 PM

Welcome to SBW Keep on riding...who cares about mileage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode