New Member needing help with Apparel! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

New Member needing help with Apparel!

Hello everyone. I have just put a deposit down on a 97' FZR600 and will have it by Augest 1st. Im really excited and cant wait to get it. The only problems now is I have no idea what apparel to get. Is it leathers, textiles, what kind of boots, helmet, ect.....

Can someone help me out? I live in FL so it is pretty hot. Is there a good place to buy it online. I just need to know what exactly to buy. Thanks everyone

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 08:26 PM

It depends, do you want to spend or save. If your looking to save on a helmet go for the HJC. For the suit try Joe Rocket. As far as getting a good price on gloves or boots, I can't help you there. I got huge discounts on those because the place I bought from had a sale on fire damaged goods. The items had no damage at all, just the packages.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 11:13 PM

Welcome to SBW! Id imagine its pretty hot down there...check out the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket...VERY BREATHABLE.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Well, Im looking to save but mean while get the good stuff. I will save up more and spend the extra buck to feel more secure for myself. Do you reccommend buying online or at a local shop? Know of any online places with good prices? Thanks

Roy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 12:43 PM

Hey hey!

I have yet to buy gloves or a jacket, so there's not much I could tell you in that area. A couple of guys at work really like there FirstGear jackets though.

I did quite a bit of research on helmets. In the end I narrowed down my choices to (the obvious really) Arai, Shoei, and HJC. From there, I threw out Arai because the cheapest I found was nearing $400 and I didn't want to spend that much. I then read up on Shoei and HJC. After trying on both the Shoei RF-900 and the HJC AC-10 I decided to go with the HJC. The RF-900 was well over $300 and it didn't fit near as well as the HJC. The AC-10 model helmet by HJC is, according to them, their best helmet. It is very comfortable, has 4 vents (1 on each cheak section, 1 chin, and 1 top-of-the-head) and it is relatively quiet. That helmet retailed at $275 at my local store but the guy knocked off $30 bucks for no apparent reason. It might or might not be obvious to you, but the vents I mentioned are all adjustable. You can open or close them depending on conditions.

My suggestion is to get a few models in mind that you are capable of purchasing and try them all on to find which one fits you best. A good place to at least see styles and prices is http://www.helmetharbor.com.

Good luck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 06:11 PM

For boots try www.dexdirect.com. You have to do some math (knock off 17% for the VAT and then use the currency calculator). As several others here have, I got my Sidi Vertebrae's for 152 bucks delivered. Thats 1/2 the price of my local dealer and about 75 bucks better than any other deal I found. Check out New Enough for leathers and textiles, as well as gloves. Another good place to try is www.kneedraggers.com. Good luck

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 07:40 PM

Smile

Hiya!!
Welcome to SBW!!
I would recommend buying the helmet in person.That's,IMHO,the ONLY way to make sure you get a good fit! Also,if there is a problem you can go back to the store instead of the hassle of shipping it back.

JIM
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 08:32 AM

Hola!

I love new members. Easy targets!! hehehe

Kidding.

Welcome and congrats on the bike. I hope you enjoy it safely. As far as the gear goes make sure you know your sizes. After that, the best deals are on the web. I'd agree on getting your helmet from a store though. With that you will want to make sure you buy the exact size. Plus different companies make the helmets fit different head shapes. Like for me Shoei fits with gaps, but an Arai fits perfect all over. I have a square head. Yes, I'm a block head. GOT A PROBLEM WITH IT PINKY???!! Anyway, good luck in your search for cool gear. Don't forget... chicks dig the dark shades.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RoysFZR
Well, Im looking to save but mean while get the good stuff. I will save up more and spend the extra buck to feel more secure for myself. Do you reccommend buying online or at a local shop? Know of any online places with good prices? Thanks

Roy
I am the quintessential value-shopper (cheapskate.) I would recommend getting a motorcycle magazine off the rack first. They have some great ads from places like Chaparral and Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse, both of which also have websites.

I know it's nice to support local shops, but I like to save money, so I do compare prices. Obviously, you have to figure shipping into the usually lower prices online. You should go to some shops and try on helmets & jackets, noting which sizes fit best before you buy online. You could even give the local shop a chance to try and come close to what you'll pay for the same thing mail-order or online.

I've ordered lots of stuff online and almost everything I got fit okay. If you use a mail-order place and talk to someone on the phone, you can ask if certain attire runs larger or smaller. I did that and would've had a jacket too small if he hadn't recommended getting one size larger than what I normally wear. I got a great tri-color leather jacket with padded elbow and a zipper for leather racing pants (don't have those) for only $130 + shipping. Buy a bike mag first and look at the ads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode