Customer Service at a shop?? What's that?! (long whiny post) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

I have often chatted with one of the mechanics and sometimes the owner over the last few years (and brought them business). HOWEVER, every time I call or go into my local motorcycle shop for parts/ service/ merchandise it's always the same crap, "What's your name? duh, what kinda bike was that, hold on lemme check, they can't get to it today...what's your phone number?? your name again? ok, we'll forget to call you soon"

What about remebering my name, my bike, all the CASH I have spent, my frickin work number and the tires I prefer... SHEESH!

I wind up scouring the web for good deals instead bringing my business to the shop. e.g., I needed a new front tire and wanted an MEZ-3 16". It was Monday, they said $175 maybe by thursday. I found it at www.mawonline.com for $78 2-day shippin total $112. It's waiting for me Wed. when I get home, drop it off at the shop that evening (They, of course, don't remember me or ny ph. #). I go to pick it up, Thursday afternoon, wait ONE HOUR, then $30 later I am riding....

Thanks, I needed that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 01:09 PM

It's a Honda Dealer...whadaya expect?

Seriously, each dealer is only as good as each individual you deal with. Just because you're buddy with the mechanic doesn't mean the parts guy will know you! When I had my ZX11D, I was real good friends with the mechanic. He even performed some minor service on my bike for free on occassion. In return, I was very understanding of the work he did and never demanded he finish my bike at the end of the day Saturday or Friday. He finished it when he finished it and it was done right. He even let me mill around the service garage and bullshit with him. In return, I learned some simple things about my bike's mechanicals. Anyway, my mechanic knew me by my first name and vice versa. He knew my bike and its history. However, the parts guy they had in that dealership was a clueless squid. He wouldn't remember my face if he saw me in a police lineup sitting on my bike! This guy couldn't even get parts numbers right so occassionally, MY mechanic would step in and "help" the parts guy out.

Now that I have my Suzuki Hayabusa, I've changed dealerships(the other only worked on Kawi's). I still have a great relationship with my "new" mechanic. He knows me by my first name as well as my bike and it's history. We bullshit a bit when I pickup/dropoff my bike. In return I'm understanding of his work scheduling and again, don't demand that he finish the job when he said he would. As a result of this relationship, he takes extra care with my bike. So he says anyway, but so far, I've never seen a scratch nor have I had to bring the bike back due to a screw up. And this new dealer's parts guy? Clueless high school puke who at least remember's my face but cant' seem to remember anything else!

So what's my point? I don't remember now. I think it was to say that it's more important to have a good relationship with your mechanic. And it's important that only ONE guy work on your bike. If he knows you by name, and he thinks of you in a positive way, he will subconsciously be more caring on your bike. Thus, he'll do a decent if not a great job on it. That's what's important. And who cares about the idiot at the parts counter? Buy your parts at discount warehouses and have you mechanic install them. You'll save a lot of money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode