Selling My Bike - Gas Boycot - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

I have joined into the current gas boycot. Because of this I have decided to sell my motorcycle; since I basically ride for recreation. Yes, I do enjoy riding, and yes, I can afford riding, irregardless of fuel prices. But what I can't afford is to let huge foreign corporations or international organizations (Such as OPEC, or petroleum companies, like Exxon) have such immense control of my life. Unfortunately, like nearly all Americans, I can't cut out petroleum products completely from my life. I can't sell my car. But I have been, and will continue to ride a bicycle to work, and any other place where I can. I won't use motorized vehicles for recreation. Finally, I know that alone, I probably can't make a difference, but if enough people try to boycot gasolene, and push for the production of alternate fule vehicles, one day we will all be driving cars, or riding motorcycles powered on American Hydrogen Fuel Cells,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 09:53 PM

Let me invoke a little bit of thought. I understand what your purpose is, so I will not try to disuade you at all. I don't necessarily understand/agree with the logic but I do applaud your efforts. At least you are making a stand!

If you sell your bike, someone else is going to ride it right? And they will consume gas and the petrol company will not even care if it is your money or the dude down the street right? But, what if you keep the bike and put it in storage? Then no one will be able to burn gasoline with your motor. So, now the gas company doesn't get the revenue and that is what hurts them. Seem a little bit more effective?
And while you are at it, buy another car and don't drive it either. Then the petrol company will be losing the revenue of 3 vehicles (your 2 cars and your bike). Seem to be an even more effective solution?
And to get a little crazy, if you were able to purchase half of the used cars on the market, you could prevent a sizeable amount of gas revenue from being generated and have a larger effect, and when the gas "crisis" is over, you could resell but since you control such a large market percent, you could set the selling prices and make a profit.
Hmmmm, makes ya think, huh?

Last edited by funksouljon; 05-09-2001 at 09:59 PM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:14 PM

actually I was thinking sell the car and keep the bike

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you sell your bike, someone else is going to ride it right? And they will consume gas and the petrol company will not even care if it is your money or the dude down the street right?
True, but I use the motorcycle for recreational purposes, whilst another may use it as a means of transportation. And while I can afford the bike, keeping it and not using would cause me to lose even more money. This is because i could use the money I get when I sell it, put it in a CD or other program and make ineterest with it.

Quote:
and when the gas "crisis" is over
There isn't currently a gas crisis or shortage. All that's happening is that gas prices keep going up. They may go down a little after thet summer "travel" season, but they still go up every year. And gas companise don't compete with one another. So basically people are just getting screwed.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:56 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by sninja387

There isn't currently a gas crisis or shortage. All that's happening is that gas prices keep going up. They may go down a little after thet summer "travel" season, but they still go up every year. And gas companise don't compete with one another. So basically people are just getting screwed.
Don't worry. As soon as he helps Wall Street get some of that Social Security money, the Bushster will be right on this. He's looking out for us, you know!

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 02:43 AM

How much have petrol prices over there risen in how long?

Over here, it's been a bit of a seesaw affair. For Unleaded 91 (the fuel that most vehicles in the country use) the prices rose to a peak (about a 35% increase in price) about mid-2000 before dropping down to pre-rise value very briefly in about November last year. Just as of this week we've just hit a new peak of a couple of cents more than last year.

I don't here too many people over here bitching about it though - they did an awful lot last year. Suppose high petrol prices have almost become the norm here

It costs me almost 50% more to fill up my bike now that it did in November ... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 08:19 AM

Gas prices in the US hasn't risen as much as in NZ. But it's getting there here in CA. The previous price for 92 octane unleaded was $1.89. Now it is $2.15 a US gallon. To me that means it costs about 15% - 20% more depending where I fill up. It's not that big of a deal on a bike since my Busa consistently gets 45-48 mpg. It is however significantly noticeable on my SUV(Isuzu Trooper w/ 3.2 liter V6 gas), which now costs US$35 to fillup with 92 octane. This is BTW the only octane level my SUV's motor runs on without engine knock while going uphill.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sninja387
I have joined into the current gas boycot. .....what I can't afford is to let huge foreign corporations or international organizations (Such as OPEC, or petroleum companies, like Exxon) have such immense control of my life. ....I know that alone, I probably can't make a difference, but if enough people try to boycot gasolene, and push for the production of alternate fule vehicles, one day we will all be driving cars, or riding motorcycles powered on American Hydrogen Fuel Cells,
That's a noble cause and I admire that you're taking a stand. You can take this a step further by discarding your internal combustion engined car and buy/lease the GM Impact electric car. With that, you will never visit a gas station ever again. You also don't need to give up riding a motorcycle. Check this out: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mclectra/emb.html
Not the most practical bike but it's better than no bike. In addition, you can attache one of those electric power boosters on your mountain bike. No kidding. I saw it in a catalog. It's a boxlike device you attach to your front fork. It contains a large NiCad battery pack and a high torque motor that hooks up to your tire. You still have to pedal but the booster helps in uphill climbs by easing the burden on you. In fact, check out the latest "Electric News" letter at your local newspaper stand or anywhere they sell such reading material. There you will find a variety of electrically boosted bicycles for your riding pleasure & commute.

Give it time and you will see internal combustion engines go the way of the Dodo Bird. And OPEC will disappear along with it. The drive(no pun intended) to electric power is too strong. First you will see the hybrids. After the hybrids you will see the fuel cells. Then the switch to pure electric. You will probably see all of these types sharing the road in the years to come. They already are now in small numbers. In fact, I see quite a bit of Toyota's Prius & Honda's whatever(I forget the name), in addition to GM's Impact cruising the roads where I live. It won't be long when hybrids & pure electrics like those vehicles will be the vehicle of choice. Then OPEC can kiss our collective asses!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 08:48 AM

Talking

Gas here is still cheap. If you want to help make the gas supply last longer .... blow up an SUV. Preferably when it's not occupied.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 09:35 AM

Arrow

Ya! Everybody boycott! (snicker snicker!) GOOD LUCK!

BTW, I just wanted to mention the taxes imposed on a gallon of gas. Next time your at the station, read the little sign above the pumps that tells you all the different taxes that you pay for each gallon you purchase! Now take the price/gallon and deduct those taxes, that is the price your paying, the rest is a form of double taxation by good ol' Uncle Sammy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode