These Gas Prices Are Ridiculous! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

What do you all think of these ridiculous gas prices?

I live in Southern California and I've never seen prices this high. The average price of premium is now $2.05 a gallon. It was only months ago when I filled up with premium for "only" $1.89 a gallon. I heard it's close to $2.5 a gallon for premium up in the Central & Northern California.

I was seriously considering buying a VW Golf 1.8Turbo not too long ago then changed my mind and decided to stay with a 4x4 since I love going off the beaten path & camping with my family. I am now seriously considering buying a Chevy Trailblazer with a big honkin' 270+ bhp V8 engines. However, the current gas prices has put a huge damper on that idea as well. I'm just afraid that gas prices will continue to rise so much in the next few years, then I'll be stuck with a big gas-guzzling truck!

BTW, I suppose this post doesn't apply to people in Europe or Asia where gas prices are already higher. And please, no lectures about the environment and how SUV's pollute more than a car and so on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 10:08 AM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
Did you know that SUV's are pumping out more pollution than...

I wonder what fuel stock returns are like these days.

John
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 10:33 AM

I just got back from a honeymoon on Maui where the 87 octane gas was $2.69/gallon. It's sad, but the $1.62/gallon I'm paying here at home doesn't feel that bad. It's bad, but it could be worse.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RRDon
I just got back from a honeymoon on Maui where the 87 octane gas was $2.69/gallon. It's sad, but the $1.62/gallon I'm paying here at home doesn't feel that bad. It's bad, but it could be worse.
That's the thing. Has it gotten better?

I think gas prices have been going up and staying there for the past few years. Everyone has their fingers pointed at OPEC's tight supply and the EPA's cleaner fuel demands. Nowadays, it costs about $30+ to $40+ dollars to fillup a big SUV tank. Which will probably be consumed in ONE day trip of around 300 miles. Or will last about 1 week of daily driving. That's on an SUV getting about 15 mpg.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 10:44 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Talking Actually.....

"Did you know that SUV's are pumping out more pollution than..."

It's kind of funny, I have both an SUV and the VFR. The gas here in Fresno is about $1.89 for Premium and $1.65 for regular. What's sad though is I can go about the same distance in town with each vehicle. I will admit that it is ridiculous that we have to pay this much for go-go juice, but if you want to use your toy's, you gotta pay the price of gas.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue_Biker

That's the thing. Has it gotten better?

NO!
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 11:14 AM
Squidwannabe

WE'RE DESTROYING THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 12:28 PM
Pete

I'm rich, so I don't care.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 12:57 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
I'm rich, so I don't care.
I'm richer, so I could care less!

Actually, what is all the extra money for? Are they paying the fossils to work hard at rotting faster and make more oil? Is it soley a cost of production based price, or more of a we got it and you want it based price. And what is it they've got? An intellectual based property that they worked hard at developing or something that's in the ground anyway and they have some arbitrary right to. I think we need more deregulation. Then, out of the goodness of their heart, they will take care of us. What goofball decided we needed regulations or oversight in the first place? Everything was fine till that started happening.

Oh well.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 05-02-2001 at 01:19 PM.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: Actually.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
[BIt's kind of funny, I have both an SUV and the VFR. The gas here in Fresno is about $1.89 for Premium and $1.65 for regular. What's sad though is I can go about the same distance in town with each vehicle. I will admit that it is ridiculous that we have to pay this much for go-go juice, but if you want to use your toy's, you gotta pay the price of gas. [/B]
Yeah. But remember, your VFR's tank is what....5 gallons and your SUV's tank is at least 20 gallons!

Anyway, I'm surprised your Premium prices over there is below $2.00. Are you sure you're not qouting REGULAR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode