Being courtious - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday, I passed a state trooper on my right hand side sitting on the shoulder. So I started flashing everyone driving in the opposite direction. Some d*ckhead was just staring at me as he speed past. Not a clue in the world what I was doing.
I have noticed in the last 10 years that I have been driving, less and less people try to help each other out on the road. Does anyone else still try to help others out. I have noticed bikers are better about it but...WTF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 05:44 AM

Thumbs up

A couple of weeks ago on one of my favorite local roads a car flashed me. I slowed, assuming there was a policeman ahead. Actually, there was a truck moving a trailer house parked in one of my favorite curves. I was very much appreciative!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 05:58 AM

Lightbulb

Yea I have noticed that too. I try to help people out, whether I am in my truck or on my bike... but most people, like you said,.. just stare at you and wonder what the hell you are doing.. lol... oh wel..

It sure would be nice if more people do that...

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 06:07 AM

Thumbs up

A few year's ago, I was driving down the freeway, and someone had stood a piece of plywood on the side of the road with blaze orange letters that said, "RADAR AHEAD." Sure enough, about 2 miles ahead, there were 4 state troopers on the side of the road with a speed-trap set up. They must have been scratching their heads as everyone passed them at 55mph!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 07:47 AM

I try to help people out too.

Paul, that is some funny stuff. A couple of us talked about doing that on the Cherohala Skyway right before the NC Trooper's hiding spot. He was there during the Smackdown. I'm sure you remember him.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 08:42 AM
Pete

After being ticketed for "helping others out," I'm a bit more cautious about flashing my lights at oncoming vehicles. The ticket was dismissed, but what a hassle.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 01:05 PM

Arizona was one of the very first states in the US to be "blessed" with Photo Radar. After getting a few tickets by this method i have seriously considered making some signs and placing them near the photo radar setups in and around the area.

If the law enforcement officials were HONESTLY just trying to slow traffic down they would post such signs or flashing lights etc WHENEVER any cop or photo van or speed trap etc were active and also at photo red light intersections, (although i think the intersection cameras are a good thing, except when they take pics and ticket innocent ppl who are "stuck" in an intersection).

Unfortunately their bank tills would soon run dry and they wouldnt be able to afford the brand new cop cars every year.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 01:32 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenNinja
(although i think the intersection cameras are a good thing, except when they take pics and ticket innocent ppl who are "stuck" in an intersection).
I agree Mike, to a point. However, If people would be a little more concientous, and look "downstream," to anticipate whether or not they can make it through the intersection before the light turns YELLOW, it would alleviate a lot of the gridlock. I get pissed-off when somebody just HAS to make it through the light, and blocks an intersection for minutes at a time. Typically, they don't get anywhere quicker than had they stayed at the light until the next one. Inevitably, it has a domino effect, and traffic is snared forever. Fortunately, where I live, they put traffic cops at all the intersections during peak rush-hour to ensure those buttholes don't lock an intersection.

On a side note, I was driving home last night and was stuck behind a woman in a BMW. There was a bumper sticker in her back window which read, "Save a life-Don't drive and talk on your phone at the same time." The woman was on her phone!!!

Here's my solution. People should be issued rubber dart guns, with darts that say "I'm a dumbass," and can't be removed from a car. When a person has 3 of these darts on their car, they get an automatic 1 year license suspension.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
After being ticketed for "helping others out," I'm a bit more cautious about flashing my lights at oncoming vehicles. The ticket was dismissed, but what a hassle.
That sucks. What did he put on your ticket.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 02:14 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by 748 abuser

On a side note, I was driving home last night and was stuck behind a woman in a BMW. There was a bumper sticker in her back window which read, "Save a life-Don't drive and talk on your phone at the same time." The woman was on her phone!!!

You know the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode