the term "faggot" re. IB-PMPN - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

First of all I think that it's unfortunate that IB-PMPN's original post was edited to have the term "faggot" taken out of it. The original showed what type of person this guy really is, especially since it was only his 4th post...couldn't keep your poor attitude and idiocy hidden for too long could you.
I also find it very funny that everyone including him missed the point of my post and ended up making me look like the jackass, when in fact it is the lack of education and tact that makes this guy the jackass.
Call it a Canadian thing if you like, but if looking out for minority groups and not wanting to discriminate against people by using terms like "faggot", "spick", queer, or "******" is part of that, then I'm proud to be the smarter and kinder little brother to my big American brother.
What IB-PMPN and many of you other guys need to realize is that it makes no difference what context you use these words in that hurts people. It's the word itself. I try to not use any of them because I never know who I could be offending or influencing.
My wife and I are the "Don's" of an all male residence at a top university in Canada and we pride ourselves on being positive influences on these guys ranging in age from 17 to 24. Being a rather mature 25 yr old guy myself I take pride in the fact that no one could ever say I influenced these young people to believe that using these words is okay. In fact I'm not afraid to speak up in the same manner I have here and say what I believe, even if it will only make people think for one second about how stupid they make themselves look by saying these things.
I'm trying to make this place safe for everyone. What is IB-PMPN doing besides spreading and reinforcing a safe place for homophobes. I realize that he was only trying to say he dislikes drag-racers, but there are alot of better ways of saying that, and if he and many others had paid better attention, I outlined some equally emphatic examples in my last post that would have offended only to those affected by swearing(which does not pinpoint any single group or minority).
Is this what you guys call a holier than though attitude? Would you rather hang with a guy like IB-PMPN and worry which one of your friends he would offend next without knowing or caring? I associate with people like him as little as possible because it reflects poorly on me and my judgement. If this goes on and I find that this site has many more people like him, I'll just stop coming by. I don't expect anyone to be upset by that, it's just who I am. And I'd know that I did the right thing.
By the way, for those who don't know me, I'm not the social activist/fanatic type this post makes me sound like. I'm just a guy who likes to hang with good people and ride as hard as I can Since I became a member of this site, I've not come across this type of poor attitude, I hope people like this guy don't keep turning up.
Cheers

Bikes owned:
1979 Kawasaki KM100
1984 Kawasaki KLX 250
1985 Honda Shadow 500
1988 Suzuki Intruder 750
1988 Suzuki Intruder 1400
1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
1998 Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja
2001 Suzuki GSX R-1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 12:19 PM

So Redneck is OK, but Faggot isn't? Hmmmm. That top university you speak of must be for conformist, and not free thinkers. Not my kind of place. If you really had a problem with his use of the word Faggot; I'm sure a PM would have been a better way to address it. I believe this board is comprised of a great group of people. Thank god we don't all think alike; or you might as well talk to yourself.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 01:07 PM

Mach, I do/don't understand why this is gottin you all worked up. It's obvious you didn't like his choice of words (and I'm sure your not the only one). But didn't he explain what he meant when he used that word in the very next sentence. I know you feel it doesn't matter how it's used it still hurts people. That's your opinion.

And no one is trying to make you look like a jackass, everyone is just posting and playing around like always. So far your the only person to be taking this to the heart.

Also if your so against the name calling why are you call him a redneck with no social skills(some people might take offence to that).

I'm not going to close this thread, I want to get some other opinions on this.

Last edited by Dan F4; 03-31-2001 at 01:11 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan F4
Mach, I do/don't understand why this is gottin you all worked up. It's obvious you didn't like his choice of words (and I'm sure your not the only one). But didn't he explain what he meant when he used that word in the very next sentence. I know you feel it doesn't matter how it's used it still hurts people. That's your opinion.

And no one is trying to make you look like a jackass, everyone is just posting and playing around like always. So far your the only person to be taking this to the heart.

Also if your so against the name calling why are you call him a redneck with no social skills(some people might take offence to that).

I'm not going to close this thread, I want to get some other opinions on this.
Well said Dan, I agree with u 100%.

If u got offended all u had to do was Pm or E-mail him, this thread was/is a waste of thread i think.

But i do wanna know what evryone else thinks.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

There's no question that sometimes I've been known to "get my panties in a bunch" over little things. However I still think that we should all be fully aware that sometimes what we say and how we say them can seriously offend others around us, whether in a motorcycle forum or in the boardroom. Personally I don't really see how calling someone a redneck is the same thing as using the term faggot. Who are rednecks? I'm pretty sure they are not a specific group of people who have been chastized by society and are just now breaking into mainstream acceptability. However, if there are some rednecks out there that have no social skills that I've offended, I'm very very sorry. Anyways boys, I'm off the soapbox for now. I think I've made my point.
Cheers.
BTW, I might just be really annoyed at the fact that it's been snowing here since last night(almost a foot and a half now). If I had of known this winter was going to be so fricken long and with so much snow I might have tried to get a sled!!! This is the fourth dumping of snow that we've had since the first of March that is more than a foot. The worst of it is that I had my bike out on the 7th and the 11th, but since then the weather hasn't been nice enough.
I'm moving to SoCal...

Bikes owned:
1979 Kawasaki KM100
1984 Kawasaki KLX 250
1985 Honda Shadow 500
1988 Suzuki Intruder 750
1988 Suzuki Intruder 1400
1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
1998 Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja
2001 Suzuki GSX R-1000
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 04:27 PM
Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by machman
I'm moving to SoCal...
Move to Arizona bro. MUCH less rain and all the electricity you can use!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 05:27 PM

Yikes

I think it's both funny and sad that these words/phrases are being used with apparently no idea as to what they mean. "Faggot" is a derogatory word to demean gays. There is no other use of the word. Would he have used the "N" word in place of faggots and still tried to say it wasn't meant to be negative?

Rednecks are a certain group, and that is a demeaning word too. Comes from having sunburned back of the neck. Country, farmer, hillbilly etc.

Maybe this slang has become so commonplace that people don't know what they mean.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 05:56 PM

Unhappy nevermind

I thought I wanted to comment on this thread but as I sat here deciding which way to approach it I realized there wasn't a "Correct" way to express my thoughts.

I guess it's kinda a personal thing, because although I also try not to use those "hurtful" words, I sometimes wonder at what point does not offending or discriminating against a group impose on my rights or beliefs.

Now that I haven't made a comment in this thread I feel a little better.

Ride Safe.

'99 GSX-R 750
Some people dream about success, others wake up and work hard at achieving it....
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by machman
I'm moving to SoCal...
Why not go to West Virginia, where all the people who AREN'T rednecks live? I've also heard that non-rednecks have been known to migrate South to Tennessee. Ask RC John...!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 09:35 PM

Re: Yikes

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Country, farmer, hillbilly etc.
HE SAID HILLBILLY! I'm offended...

Will someone please close this thread before we start to discuss every single ethnic group in existence and why using using the derogatory terms meant for said group(s) is or is not acceptable. This thread is completely ga...I mean useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode