Gun Questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

I know from previous threads that there are quite a few gun enthusiasts on SBW. I need your help.

A friend of my boss is selling a few guns (she got them in the divorce ). I have a list of the guns she wants to sell with brief descriptions. I am interested in a couple of them, but need an idea of what to offer for them.

Here's what I'm interested in:
#1) Browning Citori 20 ga. over/under shotgun.
#2) Colt Python 357- she described it as a black nickel coated ???
#3) Ruger 22cal, long barrel, black (I'm only interested if this is the luger type pistol, so thats what I need a price for)

There is also one listed that I can't find much information about. She has it listed as an Auto., Beretta Cardone, V.T. stainless. Any idea what caliber this is? How old it is?

My boss is picking them up from her tomorrow, so I won't know their exact condition until then. If you can just give me a ballpark figure for those guns in average condition, I would appreciate it.

PS..Anyone need a 2.5 carat wedding ring? She's selling that too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:52 AM

Divorce sucks. What kind of bitch takes a mans guns in a divorce? His loss is your gain I guess. I'd take the 357 and Beretta for $250 a piece (just a WAG). The shotgun sounds like a skeet gun, do you really want one? A .22 pistol is next to worthless for anything but a cheap target gun.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rug Burn
Divorce sucks. What kind of bitch takes a mans guns in a divorce?
The worst kind. She's a lawyer

Quote:
I'd take the 357 and Beretta for $250 a piece (just a WAG).
I might be interested in the Beretta, but I need to find out more about it. The only info I could find for a "Cardone" online was that it's 1935 32 caliber.

Quote:
The shotgun sounds like a skeet gun, do you really want one?
Yes, if the price is right.

Quote:

A .22 pistol is next to worthless for anything but a cheap target gun.
That's what I want. Plinking with a 44 can get expensive.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:59 PM

Definitely take the Colt Python 357. The Black "nickel coating" is a type of coat that's somewhat shiny and not so black! It serves as additional protection as opposed to just plain "Bluing", which is a very shiny black that's almost blue when polished with an oiled rag. This revolver is a kick-ass gun and is very pricey when you buy new. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 dollars.

The Ruger 22 pistol is a Target Pistol. The long barrel increases its accuracy and velocity over the standard 6" barrel. It is NOT a "Luger type" pistol but it looks very much like it. It's a semi-auto magazine fed with a fixed barrel. Definitely get this. It's a fun target shooting pistol and worth good money. New, I believe it costs $400.

As for the Shotguns, unless you plan to shoot skeet or hunt ducks, pass on them. It's possible you can make good money by buying the Citori low, then selling it high. So give it a shot(no pun intended).

Pretty soon you'll be asking questions like, "How do I carry a 357 magnum revolver on my RR within easy reach.....while riding?"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 01:23 PM
Pete

I'll second what Rogue said about the Python, a very *sweet* revolver. If it has been well cared for, you'd be making a hell of a deal to get it for what Clark suggested. I've seen good used ones go for over $500 as a result of their "collectability."

Regarding the Ruger .22, there is a chance that it might be a Ruger Blackhawk revolver in .22, which is offered with several barrel lengths. I'd give about $150 for one in good shape; new they go for about $230, if memory serves. I have one with interchangeable cylnders (for .22 WMR - Winchester Magnum Rimfire), as well as the Ruger .22 pistol, and both are a lot of fun for plinking. Don, you just need to check it out to see what it is.

I'll try to dig up some info on the Beretta, I have a gun encyclopedia laying around here somewhere.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

The Colt is kind of low on my want list, unless I can get it at a great price. I already have the Anaconda and the Python would be like a baby brother.

Tops on my list is the Ruger. I need a cheap plinker.

The O/U shotgun is just something I've wanted. I don't really have a "need" for it, but if the price is right, who knows.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:58 PM

If the Python is in good shape, go for it. They are very hard to come by these days. Since it's a Colt, it will hold it's value well. I have both the Anaconda and Python and the Python is worth much much more. As for the Ruger, don't go over about $100-$150 and only if its in superb condition. If it isn't, pass it up, you can get those pretty much anywhere fairly cheap. The gun I would have my eye on is the Browning. Without a doubt, great gun, but would command quite a price. Depending on how old it is, condition, whether or not it has any engraving and whether or not it is a limited edition model, it could be worth $1000-$2000 or more. Unless you you are a skeet shooter or do a lot of bird hunting, it would be a gun to put in the safe and keep for an investment.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:36 AM

Speaking as a person who sold guns for years, I say, "Python, Python, Python!!!" The Anaconda is the same build quality and finish as any S&W or Ruger. The Python had a lot more hand finishing and matching done to it. It's like having a very good gunsmith work your Anaconda for a chunk of $$$. Colt Pythons are beautiful pieces of machinery and aren't in production anymore. If she's asking a reasonable price, by all means, get it!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

I passed on all of them.

I checked all of them out except the Beretta which is sold.

I found out what she wanted for them.

Python $800
Ruger MK II $250
Browning O/U $900

The Python is in excellent condition, but too much $$$ for me. The others I would say are in fair to average condition. A bit overpriced I thought.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:53 PM

That is kinda high, even for the Python. Oh well, someone must have gotten to her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode