Almost stolen VFR....Mine - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Angry

Well, it almost happened. I went to class tonight, decided to take the bike. I put my BRIGHT ORANGE disc lock on with the little magnet reminder over the ignition. I went to class and not even 20 minutes in to it a counselor came in and asked if anyone owned a red motorcycle. At this point I stopped breathing. I rose up and said that I did. She said to follow her. I met her outside and she said that someone tried to take off with the bike. I guess someone scared them away. I went out and my baby was on her left side. I could of cried . One of the security guards (or lack there of) helped me pick it up. I looked at the fairings, scratches, no major damage. I guess they rested it slowly on the ground. That was nice of the bastards at least. I noticed that the bike was away from the curb by about 1-2 feet. I looked at the disc lock, yup, the slapnuts pushed the bike forward breaking the right caliper. Now I was pissed. I am surprised that they did not see the disc lock being orange and all. I took off the lock and turned it on, not starting it. I rolled it back and forth to see if the brake even worked. It did...barely. Since I did not live that far I limped it home. Just to be safe I pulled a Flintstones and used my feet and rear brake. I got it home and tried to see if there was any more damage. Only damage:
Caliper
Disc itself chipper
Minorly Scratched left fairing
My pride!
I am going to call my insurance and see what my deductible is. Hopefully it won't be that much.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 09:23 PM

Dude, that really sucks. But at least the bike was there. Hope it isn't to bad. Remember one thing, some companies will increase your rates if you make a claim, so the damage had better cost a lot of money to repair to make up for the deductable and the potential rate increase. By your description, sounds as if you would be better off paying out of pocket.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 05:00 AM

That does suck!

A shop here in Cinci. sells these 1' x 2" vinyl signs that attach to the disc lock itself. They say "Remove before Takeoff" and the vinyl itself is a very bright orange. Therefore, it is almost impossible to miss. This may or may not have helped in your case, since they missed/ignored your bright orange disc lock. It may be worth the $2 the sign costs, if it helps "slapnuts" notice the lock.

Last edited by RRDon; 03-15-2001 at 05:02 AM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 05:55 AM

You are going to be even more pissed when you price that caliper bracket.

I broke the bracket on my '96 VFR by rolling the disc lock. Boy what a dumbass I was. The bracket was very expensive.

Good luck and I'm glad the damage was minimal.

Last edited by RCjohn; 03-15-2001 at 08:34 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 06:03 AM

That really sucks. Just wondering if anyone uses one of those locks that goes over the grip and engages the front brake? Might have helped in this case.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 06:08 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by RRDon
It may be worth the $2 the sign costs, if it helps "slapnuts" notice the lock.
Yes I agree with Don, Make it noticable to the Theif that he has to remove the lock first :P

I don't know how easy it is to remove a disc lock, but if the theif wants it he's gonna get it.

Did you Guys see the picture of his bike ? Really nice ... Sorry man
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 06:16 AM

That sucks. But at least you didn't lose the bike.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Talking Insurance

Well, I contacted the insurance company last night about it. They said my Deductable is $100!! I almost fell out of my chair when they said that. I thought I had a $250 or more. What pisses me off even more is the fast that it is supposed to be 70 the next 7 days if not longer. But oh well, life goes on. I will let you know what the total damage will be as soon as I find out.

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 08:32 AM

Question

Did anyone else see the thief? Are you sure that girl didn't knock it over herself?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Unhappy

No body came forward at least to say if they saw it happen. I doubt that the counselor did it though. THe faculty lot is on the other side of the campus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode