Ella - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Looking for a good beginner bike

Hello, I am looking into getting a sportbike. I have very little experience on bikes, but i plan on taking the safety course over the summer and another intermidiate riding course after that.
I was told to stay in the 600 for a starter bike. If i remember right, some one said that there is a suziki with not to much plastic on it to break and a more comfortable riding postion.
Is there anyone in the Baton Rouge area that can recommand a good place to buy from.
Thanks guys
I appreciate it
Later
Jacob

Last edited by Blueadder; 03-12-2001 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 06:43 PM
Founder

Garage
Jacob,

The Suzuki SV650 is probibly what you are thinking of. And yes it's a great bike to start with!

Hopefully someone in your area can point you to a good dealer, and welcome to SBW!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 06:52 PM

Welcome Jacob! I agree that the SV650 is a great beginner bike. IMO, it's a bike that you won't soon get tired of or grow out of. I had the chance to ride one not long ago and it was a blast! It has excellent power delivery, handles good and is very comfortable. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 06:21 AM

Welcome. Baton Rouge is a fun town. You bunch of drunks.

The SV650 is not just a good beginners bike. It is a good one to hang on to. It is probably the best blast for the buck out there in the lower displacement range. The Bandit 1200 is probably the best in the larger displacement.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 07:00 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
The SV650 is not just a good beginners bike. It is a good one to hang on to. It is probably the best blast for the buck out there in the lower displacement range. The Bandit 1200 is probably the best in the larger displacement.
Griff did you hear that ?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

I have heard there alot of upgrades out there for this bike. Were can i find some for later on, when I become more sure of myself on this motorcycle. Also, you guys say that it is cheap? How cheap? Can I find them used or are they pretty much new bikes here in the US?
Thanks guys
Jacob
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 08:00 AM
Pete

Blueadder, doing a search on www.traderonline.com turned up no used SV650's in Louisiana. Check your local bike shops to see if they have any leads, and check the newspapers. Depending on the year/model, prices on used SV650's seem to run from around $4,000 - $6,000, give or take a few bills. This year Suzuki started offering the SV650S, which is basically the same bike as last year's SV650 (also available), except it has lower clip-ons (bars) and a half-fairing.

IMO, it's too early to start worrying about modifications. Devote your attention (and money) to proper riding gear first - at the minimum, a good full-face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and boots.

Congrats on entering the world of motorcycling! You're gonna love it!

Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to ask more questions along the way!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 08:25 AM

How far you can push the performance down the road is a warranted question when buying a new bike though.

I have heard with a new fuel mapping, and a full exhaust system, people have gotten enormous amounts of increase. I want to say I've heard 15 horsepower. I don't know a lot about these, but when I went to Texas World Speedway, I saw what seemed like 50 percent of the bikes being some homologation of an SV650. I'd be willing to bet you can get them to 100 horsepower with cams and some other mild engine work. They make up for their horsepower with torque mind you, they are no slouch from the factory.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 11:53 AM

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
This year Suzuki started offering the SV650S, which is basically the same bike as last year's SV650 (also available), except it has lower clip-ons (bars) and a half-fairing.

IMO, it's too early to start worrying about modifications. Devote your attention (and money) to proper riding gear first - at the minimum, a good full-face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and boots.

The 1/2 faired version is what we have in Canada. In europe they have both, it's considered a great bike (ie: not just a beginners bike) and is one of the best selling models out there.
I think the bike just came out last year so if there's not alot of used ones around, it could be a good sign...ie the people who bought one are keeping it. The v-twin motor sounds great with a pipe and more and more performance parts are available every month. People are racing them in the 600 class.
Where I live the sv is selling new for what a 3-4 year old 600 sportbike sells used!!!

I agree with Pete, no matter what bike you get, get good gear! Good gear is more comfortable, more practicle, and looks cool.... oh ya, it's safer too.

Last edited by oldgixer; 03-14-2001 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode