Maybe I'm Just Jealous - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, it's coming on spring and I am amazed. I stopped at a couple bike dealers the other day just to "look at new toys". While BSing, the Yam dealer said they have sold six R1's so far this year. The Kaw dealer has sold three Z12s. This is a small community.

On one hand I am glad there are more people getting into sport bikes. On the other, I feel sorry for these fools. I know most are kids, or first time riders. If they weren't, where were they last year when we were riding.

Last year the same thing happened. Then, come fall, there were so many "new" used bikes for sale the dealers were not taking any in on trade. Most owed more for the bike than what it was worth, thanks to full loans, and could afford neither the loan payments, or the insurance.

Does this happen everywhere? Oh to be young with a fat wallet and no bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 01:47 PM

Angry Yes, it happens everywhere...

That situation is BAD where I am as well...in fact, a friend of mine decided to buy a brand new R1 - I told him to get a bike like mine - I got it as a beginner bike, but I think I am keeping it, I LOVE IT - 650 Suzuki SV - and he insisted on being all macho-male, and ignored my advice.

He took out a loan to get the bike BRAND new. On the way to meet me to go for a ride, about fifteen minutes after he picked it up, he licked the road. Yup, bike is totalled, so was he.

What an idiot. Nice big FAT loan, nice big FAT ego deflated.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 01:38 PM

last summer i watched as new ridders waded up 2 gixxer 600's, a kawi 600, a yzf-600 and an r6 twice.
these were all friends of people i ride with and they were told that a 600 was a good beginner bike! maybe in the 80's early 90's 600's mande good beginner bikes but these days they make too much power for a beginner. on the flipside i have a friend who bought a CBXX for his first bike and as aware of his limitations. he is quickly becoming a top notch rider, so maybe maturity has more to do with it than how fast your bike is.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 07:20 PM

Angry Newbies

Damn the dealers that sell these newbies bikes that they are in no way experienced enough to ride!!
All in the name of the almighty dollar!!!
If one of their recent inexperienced customers is seriously injured or dies, do they even have a twinge of conscience?? Do they care??I doubt it!!
They would be SO much better off getting the new rider onto a bike they can learn on then being there when they have enough riding time and are ready to move up.
This is called good-will and it also builds a good reputation for the dealer ship.
Old fashioned ideas,yes.....but,it is the right way to do business!!

Jim
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 09:22 AM

Most, but not all are just after a sale!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 11:11 AM

I worked at a dealer and we had the same problem--sometimes the sales guys just can't talk the kids out of buying the fastest bike on the floor. They are hot-headed young kids and think they need more horsepower and don't realize how the bike will respond. You can't insult your customer and tell him he can't handle the bike he thinks he needs. (I say him since women aren't as bad--though some can be)

But maturity is a huge issue, definitely more so than bike size. I plan on getting a 500 or 600 for my first bike . . . but having seen the aftermath of out of control riding, and having dirt experience to draw from, I feel like I'll be ok. I have a healthy respect for the road and the bike and don't plan on tackling the freeways at first. (downtown Seattle, anyway)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 03:40 PM

I'm a firm believer that it has nothing to do with the bike. You could buy a Ninja 250 or a Suzuki Busa as your first bike. If the rider is immature or doesn't respect what a bike can do they WILL hurt themselves!

I get sick of people slaming new riders on the net for buying first motorcycles.

Myself, I bought a 2001 GSXR 600 as my first bike. Why? because I knew I would outgrow a beginner bike within a couple weeks. I now have 4000k miles under my belt on the 600 in the last 4 months with ZERO problems (knock on wood).

Don't blame a salesman for a stupid buyer. Let Darwinism handle these things!

P.S. Firecracker22 - I'm just north of you and ride with a group of guys in this area (mostly around Kent/Tacoma/etc). Once you get a bike drop me an e-mail!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 12:28 PM

I dont think the salepeople have any responsibility whatsoever to their customers. They're there to sell a product to someone who wants it. They even try to help kids stay off the bikes, what with the high prices and all =P. I bought a new '01 250EX as my first bike about 5 months ago, and it's not like I've totally outgrown the thing. Hell, I'd much rather be able to have full control over a small bike then be able to go fast and straight on a big bike. I've seen a few 600 + bikers who cant pull a u-turn in a parking lot without walking it, now that's funny! Its always the customers choice.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:11 AM

Yes, but the issue is saleman/woman who recomend a brand new 9R, R1, or a Hayabusa to a dork who has no clue about how much power or speed these things have. And yes if the customer wants to spend their money that way etc etc, but the salesman who recommended a 12R to a 170pound kid who has never ridden a day in his life should be held accountable for saying it is a good starter bike. That is a straight up lie. The fine line is the brand new 600CC class.
Of course you can get hurt on either a 250 or a 1300CC. But give an honest answer, which do you think someone will get hurt on first? Why is that?

Last edited by funksouljon; 03-21-2001 at 12:16 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

I'm kinda glad that these people are getting R1s and wrecking them... Keeps the used parts prices down and availability up!

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode