Alarming Prices for Used Dirtbikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 07:31 AM
Pete

O.K., so I'm fumbling around looking for a used dirtbike, nothing serious, just a beater, something to putt around on. Perusing the issues of Cycle Trader for several months, I see things like a 1983 Suzuki RM250, in good condition...for $2,200.00! What did that thing cost *in* 1983? Porbably not much more than that, I would guess. Is that kind of pricing normal? And then I see a mid-90's RM250, 10 years newer, for just $800 more. Whaddup wit dat shee-ite, ma peeps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 07:55 AM

Sounds like a misprint. For that price I would expect it to be a 1993, and even then that is too much.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 08:08 AM

The guy is obviously on dope for asking THAT much!!!I can give a ballpark on what a 1990 yz125 in fair shape goes for: anywhere between 1200 and 1800 depending on condition.....I found a page that had dirtbike bluebook values, but I can't seem to find it again... :-(
It's amazing just how well they do hold their value...Just like aluminum rowboats and trailers!!!Check out ebay motors just for pricing estimates....personally, I would stick with something 1990 and newer, just for parts availability, and performance...You Do want things like power disc brakes, front and rear...Just keep doing searches on yahoo for dirtbikes and that bluebook page will pop up "somewhere"...I hope you find you bike Pete!!I is really fun to goof around in the dirt....BTW, I'm still scared $hitless of my bike...I hit the powerband, and almost pooped my self!!!HAHAHAHA Jimmy G

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 08:27 AM
Pete

Yuo may be right Dan, but that was just one example of a host of such ads.

Thanks Jimmy. Hearing you talk about your YZ makes me want it that much more. My 6 year old son is likely to get a dirtbike for his b-day in May, and I don't wanna just sit there *watching* him ride.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 08:30 AM

Thumbs up

Don't be a wuss, Pete.

2000 KAWASAKI, KX500 DEMO Was $5,399 Now $3,999 DLR., (407)-299-9191.

I picked-up my 2K KX500 for $3K, so you know they're out there.

"Do my balls look big on this KX500?"
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 08:54 AM

Pete, have you gone with him looking at bikes???Let him sit on all of em' and see what fits him best...If it's going to be a surprise, you guys can still go out "looking"...Make sure the bike isn't too big, or too complicated...Some 50s have shifters...Some aren't adjustable, (speed limiters)....My friend tried to get his boy into bikes, and he wiped out, because the bike wasn't well suited for him...Ended his career, BEFORE it even started..Even when my guy wiped out, wasn't his fault, my stupid nephew ran IN FRONT OF HIM while he was going about 30mph....It took about 6 months before he would even go near the bike!!!Thank God, he was wearing FULL gear.....Some other tips I picked up, are to let him pick out his own helmet/goggles/boots/gloves...He'll be even MORE into the whole scene!!!NOT that you needed any of MY advice, but I figured I'd share it anyway, incase someone else might be skimming through!!!!Keep me posted!!!!!...Jimmy G
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:13 AM
Pete

Paul, the two-stroke Supermotard can wait. Did you forget that RCJohn is building me that Super Retard QA50?

Jimmy, that's all very good advice. He has spent many an hour in the shops with me, sitting on just about everything there is in his size range, Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Husqvarna, etc. Will do on keeping you posted.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:13 AM
Squidwannabe

Pete,

Why are you looking at 2-strokes ? Why not a 4-stroke ? A klr250, dr350,(great bike)!! .... I think they are cheaper too.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:24 AM

If you're looking at used bikes, look for one that's been raced by a halfway decent local racer. That sounds backwards, I know, but ANY bike will have been wrecked--it's the nature of dirt bikes--and racers are way better than the average spode about maintenance--ie, top ends, tires, greasing linkages, high-quality tires, chains, filters, oils & fluids, etc.

A mid 90s 250 should be in the $2-3k range depending on your area market and its condition. Depending on what type of riding you might want to do, 4-strokes are a safer buy; if they've been neglected, they can take a beating better. But they're heavy, and not NEARLY as responsive, and lack the finely tuned suspension of the mx bikes. But: they are way more forgiving, and especially if you are going to be on trails a lot, and maintenance is not as ciritcal. XR250s and 400s depending on your size and thirst for power are great, reliable bikes with lots of go-fast goodies available. And they're cheaper, last longer, and hold their value better.

That said, I'm getting ready to sell my XR200 (the Spode Chariot) and buy a KDX 200, which is a trail-oriented 2-stroke. I LIKE the 2-stroke hit but I don't want a pipey little 125 and a 250 is just too much at this point in my race career. And KDXs are cheap.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:50 AM
Pete

Adam, I'm not looking exclusively at 2-stroke bikes. Actually, I'm looking much harder at 4-strokes, just using the RM250 ads as an example that applies to all dirtbikes in my area.

Firecracker, thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode