Earthquake shakes my workplace!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Late this morning while I was at work our office lites flickered and then I felt the building shake. Everyone kinda stopped what they were doing and looked at each other for a split second. You could hear the building making creaking noises and shaking lightly.
People who had remembered their grade school training headed for door ways for protection. I stood under one with a co-worker. The floor pulsed in seemingly small wavelets for about 25 seconds and then eased off a bit. Kind of a sea-sick feeling to it as you wavered around.
I took that opportunity to head for the back door and reached it just as the motion re-started. It was interesting watching power lines and signs dance and sway.
The whole quake lasted about 45 seconds. It seemed longer!!
It would shake you about as much as if someone grabbed your shoulders and rather gently shook you.
You can't tell how long it will last or if it will get worse THAT is a scary feeling.You have NO control over your life for those moments!
It was rated at a 6.8 on the Richter scale. Located 35 miles southwest of Seattle, the epicenter was 30 miles deep under ground and that saved us from it being worse. There may be a few after shocks,but,they don't expect many.
The Governor has estimated a couple billion dollars in damage. 29 people were critcally injured and one death all related to the quake.
This area has gotten off lucky this time. They still say we here are due for a big one.......they just can't predict when.
I live about 50 miles north of Seattle,as a crow flies.
Only a few pictures were crooked at my home and one door slightly sprung.
It may be hard to sleep good tonite but I feel lucky!!

Jim

Last edited by katana600; 02-28-2001 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 07:43 PM

Thumbs up

Damn, glad you are okay.

The co-worker you stood with... was she good looking? If she was then that is a cheap, sorry way of hooking up. You should be ashamed of yourself. If not then I guess chivalry isn't dead.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Yeah she is but her hubby is a big mo-fo!!
Jim

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 07:56 PM

Glad to hear you're OK Jim.

As far as Johns comments, I couldn't help but think of the movie Airplane. The one lady keeps saying "I don't know if we're going to make it through this and I've never been with a man before"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RRDon
As far as Johns comments, I couldn't help but think of the movie Airplane. The one lady keeps saying "I don't know if we're going to make it through this and I've never been with a man before"
LOL!!

Glad you're ok man.. I'd like to experience one, just to see what it's like, but I couldn't imagine living in an earthquake zone!! Think of thos people stuck in the space needle!! now that must have been a ride!!!

Joe!
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 7,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium exhaust system, K&N, Jetted, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-owner/Administrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 11:09 PM

Joe, I agree completely. Even though, I would love to experiance one, I don't care to live where the ground shakes! I will take hurricane season over tornados or earthquakes any day of the week. You can see a hurricane coming.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 05:57 AM

Is California ever going to crack and fall off into the ocean? It sure would save the rest of the country alot of grief. Not all of CA, just mostly the LA area. You know, where all of the liberals live.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 07:38 AM
Squidwannabe

Thumbs up

Glad you're ok old man!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy update

The last info I heard was 250 injuries and now 2 billion dollars in damage.

Jim
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 11:57 AM

It was pretty exciting--I've never been in one before. No damage at work (Burien) and one vase fell over at home, which could just as easily been from my cats.

My parents live in Lake Chelan and they felt it too. Friends in B.C. and Spokane all felt it. Quite a shake! I heard that Mt. Rainier is ready to go. I hope not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode